Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #104210  by austinhumphrey

can anybody explain to me what it means when a chord is a seventh? like G7 or D7?
 #104212  by mkaufman

Play a major scale.

For example, C Major

Notes are:
1-C
2-D
3-E
4-F
5-G
6-A
7-B
8-C (repeats the first note)

The 7th note is B. If the chord was C Major 7, you would add the 7th note (B) to the Major chord (which is 1-3-5 or C-E-G). So, C Major 7 is 1-3-5-7 or C-E-G-B.

However, you asked about a "7" chord, which isn't a 'major' chord. '7' chords are played with a flatted 7th note added. So, a 7th chord is 1-3-5-b7 (ie: C7 is C-E-G-Bb).

Got it?

It's actually pretty easy. Take some theory lessons - it's the basis for all the music you will play.

Good luck,
mk
 #104214  by hippieguy1954

Any good chord book will give you the visual explanation also! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #104224  by austinhumphrey

Ya I think I got it now, thanks! I'm am taking guitar class at school but we haven't learned much theory so far. When should these type of chords be used? I appreciate the help
 #104229  by hippieguy1954

Used in blues a lot! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #104230  by Rusty the Scoob

Yep, in blues you can use a flatted 7th pretty much whenever you want.

The Dead used them a lot more like traditional classical music, usually to give the chord a stronger function. A 7th chord with the flatted 7th wants to resolve down one string and two frets: A G7 wants to resolve to C, a C7 wants to resolve to F, an F7 wants to resolve to Bb, etc.
 #104261  by ebick

here's a good example to just listen for the differences. Play Black Peter......first NOT using the 7ths.
Code: Select all
A                         D                     A                           D
All of my friends come to   see me last night   I was layin in my bed and dying
A X02220
D XX0232

Now try it with the 7ths.

A X02020
D XX0212