#1775  by phpbb

Hey all-

I put together another app for you to check out, this one is my attempt to get into the whole Google Maps thing. Right now, the site is designed to let you all find out what bands or musicians are in your area that may want to Jam with you. By registering with the site, people browsing the map will be able to find you, then contact you by email.

You can find the site here:

http://maps.rukind.com

For ZIP code 80302, I have added a few simple types of people for you to get an idea of what the site does.

You can join as a Band, or as an Artist. You can look for Bands that you want to join, or, as a band, you can look for Artists you may need. You can also just post your information and find some new people to jam with.

I will be adding more musical GIS information, so this is just the beginning. As always, I'd love some feedback and suggestions for things that you would like to see...

Have Fun!!

Gregg
Last edited by phpbb on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1776  by jck_strw

Another really cool app from Gregg. I like it.

Suggestions:

--You might want to put the 'register' link in a more prominent location (at the bottom? as a button?).

--Maybe add a category to list places that have an open mic night?

#1777  by jck_strw

Gregg

A couple of things I noticed:

--There's no way to go back in and edit your account information (update my information, type of music, etc.)
--If I click someone's entry, I get a popup with an error:

Unknown column 'name' in 'field list'
 #1778  by phpbb

I have fixed the email problem - thanks for catching it.

I will also be updating the site this weekend to get the user admin page working as well as the ability to add open mic nights to the site. And hopefully a more visible menu selection.

I really appreciate the input

Gregg
 #1779  by phpbb

I put out a new release of the map application. Although I am trying to intigrate with this site, they are currently separate accounts.

URL for Site: http://www.positionfix.com/bandmates/

Some other things you will notice on the site:

1> A Legend Describing each icon.
2> Link to Archive.org: I've started geocoding Grateful Dead Venues, and linking to archive.org for simple search. The Steal Your Face Icons are for that.
3> Open Mic Nights can now be added
4> You can log in and change your information.
5> You can look at satelite photos.

A cool thing to do is to go over to a venue, then look at it with photography (check out red rocks). When you click on a SYF icon, I will query archive.org and show you the results...

Have fun! - More info will be coming daily!

#1786  by jck_strw

A couple of more:

--It would be nice to be able to turn off "layers". Right now there are a ton of Stealie icons. So many that I can't see some of the people looking for bandmates. Maybe an option to turn on/off the different categories?

--When I try and login to update my information, I get the login screen, but after I input my credentials, I'm right back at the login screen. I'm using Firefox, but I've seen this in other browsers. If I go back to the main page, it doesn't look like it "recognizes" me (there's no way for me to change my info).

--Previously, I was getting a popup saying that "The Google Maps API key was used for a different site...". Not sure what that's about, but I just checked again and it looks like that's fixed.
 #1787  by phpbb

jckstraw - thanks for all the input..

Turning off layers: This is the project for the week. Yor ideas are right on.

Edit User: I pushed out some new code. I think the problem stems from the fact that I didn't make the error messages very legible. I believe the reason you were in a loop was due to the password fields. In the name of "security" I thought it proper to make you retype your password. In the name of not being a pain, I would gladly make it so you don't update your password every time you update info. Anyhow, the required field error was not that recognizable, so I made it a little more clear.

Also, if it works, you should be taken back to the map, centered right on your icon with the new information. Let me know if this still doesn't work for you.

Google Keys: Google maps requires a key for every site that you use their map API. I have a test site lurking out there that I promote out to the main site. You caught me pushing out code...

Firefox: Also, nice choice on a browser. I love developing on a firefox browser, and highly recommend it to all the rukind users.

Thanks again for the input,

Gregg

#1793  by jck_strw

Gregg

Still no luck. When I goto http://www.positionfix.com/bandmates , I click on the 'login to change user...' link. This launches another browser window (can this be set to a simple popup rather than launching a new window?) to http://www.positionfix.com/bandmates/signon.php. I then input my credentials, click Signon and then I get taken to http://www.positionfix.com/bandmates/edituser.php. But that quickly (so quick that nothing appears to happen) redirects back to the signon.php page. Try again--I click Signon, goto edituser.php, quickly back to signon.php. Never a success. Nor failure actually---I just tried to login with incorrect credentials and I get the same scenario.

Let me know if this isn't clear or if you need more info to debug.
 #1796  by phpbb

Bandmates

1> jck_strw's problem is solved!!
2> I've added some radio buttons to help filter data.
3> I will look into the pop-up thing, but I've found it unreliable due to all the different popup blockers that exist today.

Thanks,

Gregg
Last edited by phpbb on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#2359  by jjbankhead

its a great addition i have never used anything like it before, and i am on several "i need someone to jam with" webforums.

its hilarious to me that the dead started in california, much of this folkie, bluegrass, blues, jazz, fusion began in california, yet i live in california and i am the only one on the map form california. It has been really hard for me to find people to play with who don't just want to play heavy metal, or become pop stars......... :?

one of these days i'll find some one to jam with. :smile:

Re:

#72065  by glencl

jjbankhead wrote:its a great addition i have never used anything like it before, and i am on several "i need someone to jam with" webforums.

its hilarious to me that the dead started in california, much of this folkie, bluegrass, blues, jazz, fusion began in california, yet i live in california and i am the only one on the map form california. It has been really hard for me to find people to play with who don't just want to play heavy metal, or become pop stars......... :?

one of these days i'll find some one to jam with. :smile:
same here,im in rhode island and everyone wants to be pop!heavy heads!ya know why,cause it takes talent to do what we do,and im not putting them down with that remark,dead is alot of music and styles put together,thats all im sayin.