#75075  by tcsned

Mick wrote:A couple more "camp fire songs", especially for the less-than-expert:

"No Rain" - Blind Melon
lol - we do that song occasionally in the middle of the Bird Song jam - a fun E mixolydian tune :)
 #75094  by Mick

Yeah, I can see it fitting in there!

"No Rain" and "Not Fade Away" should be on a poster somewhere to encourage folks to take up guitar. They both sound great just banging on ADE. "Not Fade Away" seems to sound decent pretty much no matter what voicings I use too. My daughter sings "No Rain" really well, I think it was probalby the first song I ever played on guitar that with her singing, really sounded like "music".

Beatles "Let It Be" probably wouldn't be far behind either. A little more rangey to sing, but 3 chords (two voicings on the C) and you are good. Pick up Aminor and you are sounding like a pro.

Looking back at my guitar experience to date, I think just a few lessons at the beginning would have been incredibly valuable. I think with that help, I could have learned in about a month what it took me a year to figure out on my own.
 #76772  by ronster

I think I'm in Nashville mikes camp, I don't practice I play. I find playing scales is kinda like practice and is boring so i don't do it. May explain why I don't have big audience listening to me but non the less I enjoy what I do. I also find listening to people play leads by just running scales is really boring, much better to spend your time learning to play leads over chord shapes, learning melodies, and learning some cool licks.
On the camp fire front, just because the dead didn't play some tunes acoustic does not mean they are suited for one person on an acoustic. GTTRFB, BEW, Althea, mama tried, deal, sugaree, TJ, loser etc all work well. Any JGB tunes like catfish john, midnight moonlight, valarie, let it rock, mystery train, sitting in limbo to name a few work great, check out Bills vids for a bunch of those. Non dead tunes that i do solo would be Dixie chicken, folsom prison, 40,000 headman, electric chair and statesboro blues (bromberg versions), a whole bunch of Jorma (Gary Davis tunes). Go over to breakdownway and learn to fingerpick Jorma stuff would be a good way to expand your guitar playing.