#49821  by Emoto

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:
Emoto wrote:
CountryMile Cadillac wrote:His overall context and feel,along with Billy on Sweet Melinda is too good.
I'm scratching my head here. What is Sweet Melinda?
It is off of Texican Badman, a Rowan album from the mid-late 70's. Great album Garcia and Kreutzmann are on a few stand out tunes including Sweet Melinda, along with Kahn and Grisman.

Track this album down if you can. It is seems to be hard to find, it has been issued on CD though.

You can get a little info on it as well as a shit load of other info by following this link as your pleasure

Cool!! Thanks!! I've seen Peter Rowan play a couple of times and like him a lot. Didn't know about this album, though. I will definitely track it down.
http://www.deaddisc.com/index.html

#49935  by Tennessee Jedi

Very cool link,thank you!
:D

#50045  by ELPManticore

old man down wrote:You just reminded me of the intro riff to Starship on that album. Classic Jerry.
:? You just reminded me of Jerry's work on the second half of that album, which is a hell of a lot better than his work on MauMau. Some of his spaceiest (pun intended) peadal steel work going.
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Didnt they call themselves the "Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra" ? A loose group of San Fran musicians?
Blows Against the Empire is a classic - theres a line on the album that says something like "Cocaine for Free ".
I think thats the album where Garcia is credited with playing "Insect Fear" - whatever that means.
Its related to David Crosbys solo album somehow...
I havent listened to either album in years.
:cool:
1. Yeah, the outtakes used to be on GDLive.com, when it was arround. Good acoustic solo version of Loser, some Crosby Stuff.
2. More than a couple lines about that, and other subtances. The album was a gatefold that had a black inner cover, with a giant face of paul with leaves of MJ as hair foil stamped with stars and planets.
3. Probably -- they used all shorts of stuff to get the spaceship effect.
4. DC's solo album was recorded at the same time, using many of the same people (Jer, Gace & Paul). The Cros himself is on Blows, and maybe Nash also. Peter and Jorma Kakouen as well.

Such a great album, found it in my pop's collection on an eigth grade snow day. The ogrinal album also came with a 'pamphlet', that described how the starship was going to be hijacked, the number of certian professions that would be required etc, flushed out the plot. Might have to listen to it tonight. Also the only peice of music to win a Hugo sci-fi award.
 #116375  by mrMix

Franklin's tower off of Blues...
Last edited by mrMix on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #116454  by old man down

Love it when great threads like this get raised from the dead after being buried for four years. Brings the old rukind back to life, threads about what it was to even know about that whole magical scene, and what drew the few back then into it in the first place.

On a different website, someone posted a line that really made me aware of how rare our passing in time has been to have been around when all of this went down:

"San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .
So now ... you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

H.S. Thompson
 #126184  by cmc64

The Wheel is one of my favorites.

I know that Eyes was alreaady mentioned but the way it starts out with that first bended note and dives into the solo just before the first verse starts - priceless. I love the way his guitar sounds on "Wake of the Flood".
 #126189  by Pete B.

cmc64 wrote:The Wheel is one of my favorites.

I know that Eyes was alreaady mentioned but the way it starts out with that first bended note and dives into the solo just before the first verse starts - priceless. I love the way his guitar sounds on "Wake of the Flood".
'Love 'em both!

Here's my fave for the day...
The guitar soloing in this song is Sooooo Jeerrrryyyyy!