#33674  by High Peaks

Just wondering what everyone thought about this? When i was younger i always thought they we're the best during 72'-73. A lot of that was based on europe 72. Then i found they we're overdubbed!!!Then the post hiatus 76-78 years we're my favorite. Now in my 30's i would have to say to my ears-- the 80's with Brent we're the best. Like i said, its only my opinion. What do you guys think??

#33675  by tigerstrat

the trio harmonies of Jerry, Bob and Brent is the tightest and strongest group singing imo, probably best between 79-82 however while Jerry's voice started fraying around the edges imho Bobby's singing prowess peaked around 1990 and was still great in 95.

Still you gotta love the early trio stuff with Jerry/Bob/Phil, things like You Don't Have To Ask or New Potato...The Eleven!

I guess I love it all...

#33686  by Pete B.

lonesomecowboyBILL wrote:Pigpen no doubt had the best voice in the grateful dead. then Jerry.
That is a profound statement.
I am in full agreement.

#33687  by jjbankhead

i must agree with the Pigpen statement. Easy wind could well be still one of my favorite studio tracks. Plus the really slowed down jammed out Good morning little school girls.

after Pig left us i would have to say the 70's are may favorite decade for the dead, the energy just seems more vibrant in those recordings over dubbed or not.

my opinion is based off recordings as i was not present at any of these shows just what i listen to from tapers and what remains on my hard drive from the sound board copies that used to be available on line.

#33690  by caspersvapors

I was never that big on Pigs voice, to be honest, just liked how he gave his soul on every song.

I love the bobby, brent, jerry era.

I also gotta go with 78, Jerrys vocals are awesome in 78.

77 is the best for the Donna era

#33692  by AugustWest

I'll go by each member

Pigpen (68-69)
Phil (71)
Bobby -this one is hard for me becuase I think he was the most consistantly great. I'll just go (72,77,89)
Jerry (79-81)
Donna (77)
Brent just kept getting better (90)
vince (was pretty much the same from (91-95)

Best all around year for the band vocals

1971- pig in good form with jerry bob and phil trio hitting perfect harmonys.

Followed by 1980. Clean and perfect.

#33695  by gratephulphish123

AugustWest wrote:1971- pig in good form with jerry bob and phil trio hitting perfect harmonys.
something about the words phil and perfect harmony seems to clash :lol: . i'll agree though even though phils voice wasnt great i loved hearing the harmony trios on stuff like the eleven

#33707  by deadguise

I'd have to agree with the 71 era.

#33719  by GratefulPat

id say 76-78 as well, tho brent was very good... donna on certain days added magic to the band and on others destroyed them vocally

#33724  by Chuckles

Pig and Donna were 50/50 to even sing in key. When they hit it, it was wonderful, and Pig poured everthing he had into it, but it seemed... affected at times. At least to me.

My nod goes to the Jerry/Bob/Brent combo.. preferably before Bobby went ballistic with the screeching and Jerry spaced the lyrics too much. Also, as Jerry got older (and perhaps as his health declined... emphysema??), his voice gained a deep gravitas that I thought lent added emotion to tunes like Brown-Eyed, Brokedown, China Doll, &tc.

I personally think Brent was the best vocalist over the course of the band's run. But, having seen the Other Ones and The Dead a few times, it is Jerry's voice - even more than his guitar - that was missed.

#33738  by High Peaks

I personally think Brent was the best vocalist over the course of the band's run. But, having seen the Other Ones and The Dead a few times, it is Jerry's voice - even more than his guitar - that was missed.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Personally i think Jerry's voice started going downhill after 83-84. He still could deliver a heartfelt Jerry ballad until the end though.

#33745  by bucketorain

1989 - 1990 for Jerr and Brent....

#33792  by drums>space

1989 - 1990 for Jerr and Brent....
i agree. For some reason, i really enjoy jerrys voice in the late 80's and 1990. To me it sounds more soulful and emotional. I especially love the late 80's and early 90's jerry band, his voice suits those songs so beautifully.