#31025  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I run a Mark IV combo which is pretty complicated, I think the Mark iii head is a little more user friendly. I guess all I can suggest is that you realize the Mark series amps require some time to get the settings where you want them. I think the Mark iii isn't as complex as the IV, but you should give yourself some time to work it. In the end, the tones are out of this world and cut through a mix like nothing else, but they do take some time to get used to.

The Boogie board is a good place to go for advice on settings, tubes, etc.

http://forum.grailtone.com/

All I can say is enjoy the amp, they are remarkable. I would take a bullet for my Boogie.

#31027  by High Peaks

Thanks 9.5
I've always played thru Fenders, or Groove Tube Trio preamp so the MEsa is a new monster to me. Ive also heard that its a more involved to dial in the Mesa. Any preference of speakers that run well with it. Right now i'm using jbl e120s, but will probably get some celestion vintage 30's.
Next step is to get an amp switcher to go between my Jerry and Trey rig!!!! I have a hopeless case of G.A.S.

#31032  by strumminsix

Mesa are great amps! However they require patience.
I loved mine but have no need/want for it anymore.
Takes too much time to dial in in different rooms.

You'll love it once you figure out all the nuances.

Are you gonna use a different cab for each head?

If so all you need is an AB/Y box.

Same cab needs a switcher.

#31037  by strumminsix

High Peaks wrote:I think i will run them thru different cabs to.
Just need an AB/Y box then

(and a roadie, and a moving van :lol: )

#31081  by tigerstrat

So HP, what are the features on this particular Mark III? What year/what color "stripe" is it? Short-chassis/long-chassis? Does it have 5BEQ? Reverb? Is it hardwood/wicker? Tolex? what color, etc. What tubes are in it?

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html has a nice collection of info about the whole Mark series.

I think you'll love it clean through the E-120's, but if it's intended to be your Trey rig then yeah you probably want the Vintage 30's.