#27247  by Pigpen

Im really liken Railroad Earth, thanks for those recommendations. WELL my top non dead bands now are Television, Railroad Earth, and actually as kind of a curve ball readings of Burroughs, Ginsberg, and Kerouac I found :o .

#27248  by JackORoses

spacehead333 wrote: At least their original, and don't base their fame on cover tunes, like DSO
yea right the best tunes these two bands play are covers, have a cigar and run like hell in biscos case and like any classic rock in umphreys case, these bands lack talent they think that by throwing a whole bunch of uneccesary notes and werid electronic sounds they can make good music, true talent is takeing a few chords and a killer melody and making amazing music. These bands are nothing but electornica and prog rock bullshit

and omg i can't belive someone mentioned conrmeal this band is amazing got to meet the entire band at summercamp this past summer awsome group of people, they played an awsome set in a church there with vince herman super personal only about 20 of us there , and anyone that had an instrument could come on stage and join in would have killed to have a guitar, definately check these guys out

#27250  by JackORoses

oh and definately check out peter rowans solo albums, these are amazing peter rowan and his various bands are some of my favorite stuff aside from the dead

#27256  by Panda Licker

I've been on the craziest Elvis Costello kick lately, so if theres any chance you've missed picking up an album or two by him, I highly recomend that

#27257  by hotasaPistol

Frank Marino.......just had him live at my place
got up on stage and played for 3 hours straight....
long musical journeys just an incredible guitar player and one of the nicest guys in the world
don't miss him if you get the chance

Pistol
daytime nighttime inside outside :-)

#27341  by lsamuel3

The Slip , they have such a wide range of material its just rediculous, the epitome of genre busters, each member is a master of their respective instrument

also Wilco and the new Radiohead album
The Black Keys couldn't be any catchier

#27358  by golfnutt

I've been diggin the North Mississippi Allstars as of late (I know theyve been around for a while but I just discoved them 6 months ago) I'm gonna check them out this Sunday in Mesa AZ cant wait!

#27361  by frankielee

Diana Krall...If you dig jazz this chick will take you there! 8)

#27393  by Hajimemashite!!!

JackORoses wrote: moe.

shit I even enjoy Dave Matthews Band

i'd keep away from

Disco Biscuits
Umphrey's Mcgee

personally I think these bands have just hijacked jam audiences and care nothign about there fans or the environment the dead helped build and there music has nothing to do with the tradition of the the grateful dead
moe and dmb = laughable

dude are you kidding about umphreys and bisco? they love their fans. im guess ing you dont know shit aboutthem because they play harder or more electronic. i have not seen higher music levels reached since phish. for umphs at least. bisco can get a bit boring.

thats fucking ignorant, who cares if their music isnt like the deads? there ARE other styles beside hippy jambands(most of which are boring as shit READ moe and dmb)

dont talk about shit you have no idea about

these bands lack talent they think that by throwing a whole bunch of uneccesary notes and werid electronic sounds they can make good music, true talent is takeing a few chords and a killer melody and making amazing music. These bands are nothing but electornica and prog rock bullshit
why are the notes uneccesary? whats wrong with electronic sounds?

sometimes you need alot of notes, sometimes you dont.
electronic sounds can be awesome.

whats unecessary is al schnier soloing the same solo for 20 fucking minutes 5 times per show, then doing it AGAIN every other show.

"true talent" is whatever you find it to be. who are you to define talent asshole? i find umphreys and bisco extremley talented. bisco has the smoothest transitions of pretty much any band, just great segues. umphreys is heavily influenced by prog, they do write amazing melodies and harmonized guitar lines and overall their compostions are mindblowing. yeah theyre complex, but so what? its alot easier to throw together a song with a few chords and a simple melody, and usually that stuff is SO FUCKING GENERIC. the dead could do it tho. umphs took the time to learn how to play EVERYTHING and not be selective of the styles, their music truly is original, songwriting included. hell nobody writes as original music as umphreys now days. i could recognize a bayliss or jake song at the drop of a pin.

but to you they play complex and fast sometimes, so they must be bad. thats stupid.

actually LISTEN and dont just shit on them.

this is my one beef with a lot of heads and blues players, is that they dont take the time to do anything new. its like they never leave the little dead/blues/bluegrass circle.

i kinda think some are lazy and just stop learning about their instruments. i know its not about the instrument, but when you know everything about it and become very taleneted at it, you can be MUCH more expressive in your music. hate to break it to ya blues guys but the pentatonic shit got boring over 40 years ago.

umphreys and bisco are doing new shit (well at least umphreys keeps doing new shit). the DEAD did that same thing. they open new musical worlds. but since they dont play in the dead realm of music you say theyre bad.

and i must inquire, why is electronica and prog bullshit?

(actually ill agree that a lot of electronica kind of is bullshit, because anybody could program shit on their computer and a lot is repetitive and similar sounding, but some of it sounds awesome anyway)

list of umphreys goodness
-songwriting
-unboring jamming
-best guitar duo since duane and dickey(seriously bayliss and jaco fit perfectly witheach other)
-kris myers is possibly the most riddiculous drummer of all time, the only other drummer i could recognize by their playing would be kreutzmann
-very diverse
-they actaully KEEP GETTING BETTER and they change, not just shit around in one little hole of music

#27414  by High Peaks

Robert Randolph and the Family Band- amazing musicians and showmen

Cassandra Wilson- The best jazz singer out there right now IMHO

Definitely have to agree with Maceo Parker-- Great show

Otto's Jacket- a local band here in Saratoga that my buds are in. They have a good thing going. Check em out

Del McCoury Band

Monk

Too many more!!!!!!!!
 #27440  by ph-balanced

A few Bonnaroos ago I was on my way to see Page & the Spam All-Stars. Along the way another band caught my ear so I stopped to check them out. The band was Umphrey's McGee. I never made it to see Page. Since then I've seen UM a couple of times and they have never disappointed me. They bring it. I like a lot of music, but I can't get enough live Umphrey's.
 #27443  by Hajimemashite!!!

ph-balanced wrote:I like a lot of music, but I can't get enough live Umphrey's.
q4t

#27444  by steve

Revelling Crooks. These guys are pretty good, the album that I have has quite a variety of styles on it and I've yet to be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/From-Heaven-into- ... 870&sr=8-1

can sample the stuff there. I think they are from Germany, but some of the music is traditional irish, folk, russian (i think, or some other slavic-based stuff)....

#28362  by Long Distance Runner

RAQ
Ben Harper
Ween
Tea Leaf Green
Yonder Mountain String Band
Umphrey's McGee
Widespread Panic
moe.
Particle
JJ Grey & Mofro
Les Claypool