#173783  by Sérgio

A friend in another forum was talking about Jerry's soloing in these terms:

"Think of these two major scale shapes: the C major scale on the 1st through 3rd and then the C major on the 5th through 8th frets. Pretty much 90% of Jerry's playing in those shapes. Now, move through the progression moving the scale with the chord, for example:

B scale at the 11th fret
F# scale at 11th fret
B scale at 11th fret
E scale at the 9th fret
F# scale at the 9th fret

- and there you have it, the basic structure of the Touch of Grey solo. "

What does he mean by "C major scale on the 1st through 3rd and then the C major on the 5th through 8th frets"? Since it refers
to scale shapes, I am understanding this as the "boxes" of the scale, like these:

But "1st through 3rd fret" gives me the idea of playing the scale horizontally across the fretboard.
 #173785  by Jon S.

Disclosure: I neither insist on nor achieve perfect copying of the Jerry solos that I like and learn. I get close enough to be happy with the result, as for example, here:

https://youtube.com/shorts/iXe4gMgSKG4?feature=share
 #174400  by Phrygian

I have carefully studied several of Jerry's recorded solos to learn them note for note - not that I want to play them for an audience, but to learn what made Jerry such an exceptional guitarist. Plus I find the process of discovery enjoyable. To me, it is simply fun!

It has taken some time for the concept to sink in to my thick head but most times when I find a particular phrase or lick awkward to play in my first attempt at fingering, switching my finger position to play the chord or chords as they change reveals the easiest way to play the lick. In other words, think of the chords rather than scales. A highly respected LA jazz musician stated this much more elegantly than I have in a forum post that I read many years ago, and it is great advice.
 #174401  by Jon S.

>> switching my finger position to play the chord or chords as they change reveals the easiest way to play the lick. In other words, think of the chords rather than scales.

Exactly. This is part of why I shared my brief video in my first post above - it's easy to see the chord shapes as I play.
 #174403  by strumminsix

Thinking Jerry did anything 90% of the time is a stretch. His bag of tools was much bigger than that.

Jerry knew the rules, and knew how to both apply and break them and why and when to do each.

However, thinking of the fingerboard like your buddy described is really good ESPECIALLY if the lesson resonates with you.

Years ago, we had a regular contributor Pete B who was masterful who posted this which is a really nice breakdown:
https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t=5450

Rarely do I think GD solos need to be note for note... But Touch of Grey is one that needs it IN MY OPINION.
 #174404  by Cumtax

Phrygian wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:36 am I have carefully studied several of Jerry's recorded solos to learn them note for note - not that I want to play them for an audience, but to learn what made Jerry such an exceptional guitarist. Plus I find the process of discovery enjoyable. To me, it is simply fun!

It has taken some time for the concept to sink in to my thick head but most times when I find a particular phrase or lick awkward to play in my first attempt at fingering, switching my finger position to play the chord or chords as they change reveals the easiest way to play the lick. In other words, think of the chords rather than scales. A highly respected LA jazz musician stated this much more elegantly than I have in a forum post that I read many years ago, and it is great advice.
I study Jerry with my teacher a lot and he also says that he approached soloing as jazz players do
 #174405  by Jon S.

EC rarely if ever, to my knowledge, played the Layla album solo live note for note. The DA leads from Statesboro on the Fillmore Album that so many of us deem iconic? On the other nights of the same tour, every lead's different. So, and it's just my own humble opinion, I feel zero need to copy anyone's leads exactly. This being said, to quote Dylan, "And I say, “Aw come on now. You must know about my debutante.” And she says, “Your debutante just knows what you need. But I know what you want.” There are some album version leads I, too, have put the time into to learn note for note, e.g., Driven to Tears (Police), Santeria (Sublime), and Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen). Do what you like!
 #174406  by Cumtax

I learn things note for note sometimes, but my main goal is no not to copy 100% what's going on. By transcribing I'm able to surgically isolate and have a better understanding of why the things I like sound the way they sound.
Jon S. liked this