#159880  by FourFingerWarrior
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:30 am
Looking for a little light on the description of a transparent or an overdrive that that doesn't change your natural tone.

Is the Earth Drive and the Klon in the same category or is there much of a difference? Does anyone here own a Klon or a Klon clone?

I own the Earth Drive and I love it but I'm looking into an Archer and was wondering the differences. I'd like to hear your guys's input. :cool:
Thanks,
Fourfinger Warrior
 #159889  by Searing75
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:41 pm
I have both. The Klon adds a bunch of upper mids, where the Earth Drive does not. Both have great overdrive. So, if you want more color to your tone in the upper mids, then use a Klon. If you want just awesome overdrive with not much coloration of your tone, then use an Earth Drive.
FourFingerWarrior liked this
 #159892  by chipperj
 Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:15 pm
The "Timmy" pedal is pretty transparent. I used to love it, but it's all over now.
(I bought an EarthDrive. Actually, I bought 2 of them. And a Solar Flare)
 #159900  by rugger
 Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:58 pm
Nels Cline says his Earth Drive does the "Klon thing." I have to agree. I've A/B'd them with a friend and we got them sounding virtually indistinguishable.

John in San Diego
 #159931  by Staemius
 Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 pm
Blacklodgebob wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 am
im really digging this noisekick fx double pedal - klon on the first side, analogman king of tone hi gain on the other - very jerry when fed into a jerry rig
Which pedal are you referring to? Thanks. (I see the "Sit In" has a boost, overdrive and reverb - not sure if you're referring to a custom pedal or something I haven't seen from them yet)
 #159932  by Blacklodgebob
 Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 pm
Staemius wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 pm
Blacklodgebob wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 am
im really digging this noisekick fx double pedal - klon on the first side, analogman king of tone hi gain on the other - very jerry when fed into a jerry rig
Which pedal are you referring to? Thanks. (I see the "Sit In" has a boost, overdrive and reverb - not sure if you're referring to a custom pedal or something I haven't seen from them yet)

Not too long ago all his pedal were just on reverb, and there was a couple dual boost pedals for a while. Im sure if you just email him and say, hey can you make me one of those badass yellow dual boosts thats a klon on 1 side and ALGMan hi gain king of tone on the other and hell send you a bill. Mine was expensive like 200 bucks, but again, the best distortion / clean boost pedal ive ever had.
 #162699  by Rob303
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:04 am
Reviving an old thread. I have a Rimrock Mythical Overdrive klone and an Earth Drive. I really don’t see much similarity at all. The Earth Drive is very transparent and does not seem to EQ your signal much at all anywhere on the gain sweep. Higher gains are more “Fender Blackface on 6+” grit where the Mythical Overdrive gets into Tube Screamer territory at high gain with a creamier sustain and a lot of added mids. The Mythical Overdrive gives a mids presence even with the gain off.

Fwiw I like the Earth Drive with tone at noon, drive around 1-2, volume around unity into the MO setup for clean mids forward boost.

Please note this in not in my Jerry rig.
 #162701  by brianb
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:25 am
I have a Klon & an Earth Drive and had both on my board for a few months. The Klon is an amazing pedal, but the Earth Drive is the winner for me. The Klon colors the tone slightly (in a good way), but for the Dead I think the Earth Drive sounds better.
 #162706  by waldo041
 Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:15 pm
Jerry never used a Klon, use the off side of your Mu-tron III and turn the gain up for the cleanest and most transparent boost you will ever hear! (imho) It has a bipolar power supply, the rail is doubled! I am not saying Jerry did this but The "overdrive" feature is clearly detailed in the original manual. You have to change the jumper in the Micro to get the original preamp circuit.

~waldo
hippieguy1954, Rob303 liked this
 #162846  by Jeff S
 Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:53 am
FourFingerWarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 am
Found this looking up noisekick fx

noiseKICK FX Terrapin Chorus/Vibe 2017 https://applink.reverb.com/item/2098230 ... -vibe-2017
Cool sounds man. Can you give me an example of a Dead tune that would use this pedal other than maybe Candyman? I'm thinking maybe you're talking about a Bob Weir sound. Great pedal but I not sure where else this would fit into a Dead tune. Thanks. Always searchin' for that sound.
 #162858  by FourFingerWarrior
 Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:49 pm
Jeff S wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:53 am
FourFingerWarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 am
Found this looking up noisekick fx

noiseKICK FX Terrapin Chorus/Vibe 2017 https://applink.reverb.com/item/2098230 ... -vibe-2017
Cool sounds man. Can you give me an example of a Dead tune that would use this pedal other than maybe Candyman? I'm thinking maybe you're talking about a Bob Weir sound. Great pedal but I not sure where else this would fit into a Dead tune. Thanks. Always searchin' for that sound.

I'm not too exclusive with my pedals. I'll use whatever i'm into at that time.. I did see a mu-tron into octave from noisekick-fx on reverb.
Anyone try it yet? It has Jerry's hand on it with a $299 label which is still hard to eat.