#9233  by mutant_dan

Hope this doesn't violate the posting rules for the Bluegrass Instrument forum. There are Bluegrass instruments in this post. :-)

I took the family on the road last month, drove from Northern California to Yellowstone. Along the way we caught a Bluegrass Festival at the Grand Targhee Ski Resort in Idaho. The resort is on the backside of the Grand Teton range and provides some incredible views.

Thought I might share some snaps:

This is a shot of the venue from the top of the ski lift. You can see the stage in the bottom right of the photo:

Here is the venue prior to music starting:

Tim O'Brien and Danny Barnes (Bad Livers) jamming in the Martin Dealers Tent:

Peter Rowan doing his thing:

Last but not least, a bull moose hanging out in a lake with the Tetons in the background.

#9242  by shakedown_04092

WOW! Sweet pics, I bet you guys had a great time! How was the music/who else played?

I skied Grand Targhee this past March on a whim. Awesome mountain and as you said, provides incdreible views. We went out to Bozeman and skied Bridger Bowl for 2 days, then went over to Moonlight Basin (same mountain peak as Big Sky, just the other side...much less crowded and less expensive - snow is just as good, if not better) for a day. We then headed south to Jackson Hole for 2 more days of skiing because we wanted to catch the Tram before it shut down as this was it's last year in operation. On the way back, we decided to hit Targhee for the hell of it and it ended up being some of the best skiing I've ever done.

Sorry, that kind of got away from the Bluegrass post, but I had to share the memories! Thanks!

#9243  by jck_strw

Very nice pics. That last one is especially nice.

What festival was this? Who else played?

#9250  by mutant_dan

Before we headed out to Yellowstone the wife just happened to stumble across this link on the internet:

http://www.grandtarghee.com/summer/musi ... s-fest.php

19th Annual Grand Targhee Bluegrass Festival
August 11- 13, 2006

Friday 8/11/06
4:00 PM Pagosa Hot Strings
5:30 PM Uncle Earl
7:00 PM Darrel Scott
9:00 PM Blue Highway

Saturday 8/12/06
12:00 PM Laughing Bird (childrens show)
1:00 PM Brother Mule
2:30 PM Shawn Camp
4:00 PM Darrel Scott
5:30 PM Blue Highway
7:00 PM Uncle Earl
9:00 PM Tim O'Brien Band

Sunday 8/13/06
10:00 AM Weber Mandolin Contest (Plaza Area)
11:00 AM Gibson Guitar Contest (Plaza Area)
12:00 PM Matt Flinner Trio
1:30 PM Shawn Camp
3:00 PM Kanes River
4:30 PM Tim O'Brien Band
6:00 PM Peter Rowan and Friends

We only attended Sundays show and the music was incredible. My daughter (who is 10) has seen Peter Rowan at least a dozen times. Midnight Moonlight is her favorite song.

The last set was Peter Rowan and Friends jamming with Tim o'Brien's band. I also had my 2 year old son in tow and didn't get any pics of the big jam session.

I wish I could find a recording of this set as it was totally over the top.

Image[/img]