#34565  by xero92

Since I picked up the bass alongside guitar, I've been looking for a fairly cheap bass amp that can still pump out a loud sound and clean tone, enough to keep up with guitars and drums in a band setting. Found this 300W Behringer for $280, looks like it has some decent feature for such a low price. What do you guys think?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=481097

Thanks!

#34566  by I'm on the Bozo Bus

Like you Xero, I'm no bass player.... The strings are to big and the frets are too far apart.

I did, again like you, pick up a bass and a Behringer amp, albeit the "Little Brother" of the one you mentioned.

IMO, and as little as I know about the bass... I know what I like, I think for the money it is a decent buy. My situation is a bit different, I only use to noodle around the house and lay down some tracks... In all honesty, I bought it for my son who is just starting to play. The "Octave" function is nice, but very subtle. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of illustrating the frequencies when the parametric EQ is off... other than cool little blinky lights...

I am a dyed in the wool tube head and pretty snobish about it. Having said that, I would recommend this amp for the way I use it. In a band setting... I couldn't tell you.....
Keep digging, there are some very knowlegable bassist around that I am sure can offer plenty of real experience advice.
PEACE,
Phil

#34597  by strumminsix

FYI on the GK, I've used it for: bass, guitar, poweramp w/speaker for sound reinforcement & monitor in a pinch and it did well for all!

Tonally, I'd guess that the Ampeg is likely superior.

However, I'd be concerned with only 50W for bass.

#34598  by causebass

first remember watts are never the whole story...companies have always played games with the wattage ratings...you usually can compare wattages within a company's amp but from Brand A to Brand B you need to not use wattage as a final decision maker. I am not a big fan of extra stuff on any amp, EFX and EQ's are nice but not at the expense of less quality amplifiers and speakers, so really consider whether or not those extras are really important. I have a Eden 1-10 in their Nemesis line and that I use for practice, but has a nice clean sound, one of their slightly bigger cabs might do nicely. SWR makes some nice combos too. my .02

#34605  by China Cat

SWR makes an amp in that price range that is pretty tight ive heard

#34608  by dpmphoto

I would stay away from berhinger there stuff is junk,I hope I'm not offending anyone by saying that.I work in the music business and see alot of it come back not working shortly after purchase.In my opinion I would hold off and buy a used ampeg or something along those lines.
 #99267  by Phil Lesh101

xero92 wrote:Since I picked up the bass alongside guitar, I've been looking for a fairly cheap bass amp that can still pump out a loud sound and clean tone, enough to keep up with guitars and drums in a band setting. Found this 300W Behringer for $280, looks like it has some decent feature for such a low price. What do you guys think?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=481097

Thanks!
I Use beringer For a moniter, Stick With actual Bass Cabinet makers. Like mabey Genz benz ( Ect.)

Re:

#99321  by JonnyBoy

causebass wrote: SWR makes some nice combos too. my .02

Our bass player uses an SWR combo sometimes and it has a DI out to go to the board if he has a rig failure. He has a Hybrid Tube Peavey combo he seems to like too. I don't think either are bad choices. Peavey's are great beginner/even pro equipment that lasts forever and MADE IN USA still in Meridian Mississippi about an hour from me.