#953  by deadhead89

What is everyone's favorite kind or brand of bass, I have a cheap fender bass, but I think I might want a Les Paul bass, but what are your favoritee basses?

#1401  by saint421

i've played a few....my first was a custon made, solid mahogany body and fender neck. weighed a freakin ton. i then got a nifty squire, for $25 from a friend who just wanted it out of his house. so i de-fretted the custom, which made a very nice sound.
now i play on, believe it or not, a peavey GRIND BASS 4 BXP NTB....now i never would have thought about buying a peavey, but i got suckered into playing one at the store and loved the way it felt in my hands. smooth neck, the frets are close to the fretboard which works really well for me, and it was so much lighter then any bass i'd worn in the past.
excellent sound on it too....now i just need to upgrade my amps
:D

#1412  by DanK

well, i would reccomend u shop around till you find a bass that u like, for a price that u like. i have played many basses, but a couple of my favorites are the fender acoustic/electric bass, which sounds really nice acoustically for jammin at the campfire or the beach, and i really like washburn basses. I found a cheap almost new washburn called a 'lyon' and it costed me 100 bucks, and plays and sounds better than many much more expensive basses i've played. Ibanez basses are allright, but my Lyon plays better and has a better tone than most Ibanez's i've played. the moral of the story is find one that feels good in your hands and sounds good to your ears, but also fits your budget. good luck :) :smile:
 #1451  by Cosmic RR

Well I have played hundreds of basses. Over the past several years, I have discover my favorite basses have most of their components in common. Nut width, heal size and so on. I am a freak when it comes to my bass. I have about 15 now and they all have similar characteristics. I have gone through entire music stores playing everything, but that is how you find what you like and don't like. Find one thing you like and build on it. Once you find a neck you like, figure out what you like about it and go from there. Eventually you will find "THE" bass for you.
:cool:

#2365  by wtsant

yeah, it all depends on how much money you want to spend. i've played great sounding, inexpensive peaveys and fenders that play very nicely. if you want something more higher end, I'm a huge fan of Warwick basses, and if you really want to spend some money check out Modulus or Pedulla, both sound terrific. For something of similar quality that is less expensive and completely customizeable, check out Carvin. You can get a very reasonably priced custom bass built how you want and the ones that I've played are very comparable to some of the more expensive, higher end type basses. hope that helps.

#5446  by Modulus5

Modulus is the way to go! Mine is a 1992 5 string whihc never, and I domean never goes out of tune. It's tone is as fresh as the day I bought it and I can't say enough about the quality of the instrument!

#5448  by tigerstrat

I bought my 1996 Alembic Epic 5-string new, and I love it, love it, love it... same great-sounding electronics and awesome playability as the pricier Alembics, less of the fancy frills... in fact there are no inlays at all on the fretboard!Just side dots. Available in lefty. Maple neck, ebony fretboard and with several different types of topwood (Bubinga, Walnut, Birdseye Maple... mine is Wenge) over the mahogony body. You could probably find a used one for around $1000 ...the Essences are quite nice too, only a little higher in price.

#8551  by jerrysbanjo

For R&Roll I really like Rickenbakers.

For a more general purpose bass more suitable for country type music I like Jazzes and Precisions. Jasses for the neck and overall feel and Precisions for the thick big bottom tone.

#8595  by China Cat

Although i play guitar primarily, i do screw around with bass sometimes. From the ones i have played (4 string fender & squire jazz and pbasses, 5 string fender jazzes, and a few other miscellaneous basses both 4 and 5 strigned) my favprites have been the 5 strings. they just sound bigger and funkier. i like the cosmetics and sound of the 5 string Traben Array Limited, and the 5 string Fender Jazz is sweet too.

#10488  by acidrain30005

I have a cheap Silvertone jazz bass look alike. It's a jazz bass with a sharper cut. Probably one of the most tone-versatile basses I've ever played.

#14763  by james the bassist

as for something one might find warwick has been very good to me.The craftsmanship and materials are second to none . Make sure it is made in west germany. What do I play? A 1968 gibson thunderbird,if you can bare the weight,it is oden like . Hows that beowolf

#14766  by tigerstrat

Grendel, your momma is soooo dumb...
james the bassist wrote:as for something one might find warwick has been very good to me.The craftsmanship and materials are second to none . Make sure it is made in west germany. What do I play? A 1968 gibson thunderbird,if you can bare the weight,it is oden like . Hows that beowolf
 #28353  by Green Mt. Prankster

Been trough a bunch of basses, but settled on a 6-string Peavy Cirrus. The pao ferra fretboard gives it a sound quite like Phil, not bright like a maple fretboard, and richer sounding than a rosewood. And a neck through with 2 octives on each string! 144 note selections! They are not produced anymore, but you can get them for around $1000 used.

I play it through a Bassbone, into a 16 band EQ, into a BBE pre-amp and into a Crown CE 1000 power amp, 450 w @4 ohms per channel. This feeds my Ampeg 410HLF cab.
 #82989  by seanc

I have owned and played a lot of basses over the years. You name it, I've played it or owned it at one time or another. My hands down favorite is my mark campellones. 6 str fretted w/ alembic pick ups. It is so nice Doug Irwin could only say tyt he wished he made it.

On the flip side .... If you ever come accross a fernandez alembic s1 copy. Buy it! The one bass I wish I never sold. Played sounded, felt like the best alembic I have played but better.
 #82992  by ugly rumor

My favorite is the only one I have left, after downsizing considerably. It is a 1978 Gibson RD-77 Artist. I have also owned the RD Standard, the SB-400, a Fender Jazz made in America in the '90s (ugh), a Steinberger, a Japanese copy of a Steinberger, a Kawai F11B (copy of an Alembic series 1, played great, finely made, but I wasn't fond of the tone), a Washburn, a Gilbert (my first bass, copy of a "75 Fender Jazz, but with a short scale, destroyed by an ex-girlfriend), but the RD Artist does everything these others did and more, is comfortable, although heavy, and has a great neck, thin with a 34 1/2 scale. I do wish it had 24 frets (23).