#4908  by JerJones

Does anyone have some suggestions for an inexpensive PA rig?
Don?t know if this is already in the forum, the topic seems familiar.

#4909  by JerJones

Sorry! meant to put it under General Disc.

#4910  by strumminsix

Jer, what is this PA for? Inexpensive may risk quality.

Here's an example...

My PA 150W Fender = $400 (I think it's been years)
Yamaha 300x2 PA = $800

My PA is okay for two man acoustic shows with vocals. But it is not okay for a band to do shows and could not power monitors.

My old bandmates Yamaha was great for rehearsals, shows, powered monitors and was awesome.

You really get what you pay for. If you need a PA I'd suggest paying around $1000 for the Yamaha package that you can find at www.Musiciansfriend.com since it comes with a board, mains, all cables and a few mics. Now the mics aren't that great but it is an easy upgrade later and you can keep the old ones as spares or use them as instrument mics if you need just a bit of soudn reinforcemnt.

#4912  by JerJones

Thanks,
I thought I might have to shell out at least that much.
The system I am looking for is for personal home use, as well as small rehersal gigs. I forgot to mention that in the post, also it really is just so I can practice hearing my voice.
But yeah, I do want quality/affordability in the sound...

#4914  by strumminsix

This one is good for rehearsals and very small gigs (200w):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=630196

This one is good for reheasals and smaller gigs (300w):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=630194

But if I were you, I'd get:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=630199

8 input channels, 500W to 2 output channels, 15" speakers.

You would never need anything more than this for a medium sized room (this assumes that as your band grows you will acquire monitors along the way which are relatively inexpensive since you already have an amp for them)

This would also allow you to mic instrumets and run them out for sound reinforcement.

#4916  by JerJones

Musicians friend is definitely were I do most of my shopping...
Thanks for the links....I have looked (dreamed) through those packages recently, and MF is no doubt the best price for equipment.I bought a cheap mic package from them, and then recently purchased a sennheiser e835 from local guitar center. All those PA packages look gooood! I may have to wait one more month!
Purchased within last two months; my comeback beg. pkg.
rig: PRS soapbarII SE
Fender Blues Deluxe
TC Elect. M300
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Q-zone
PS,
Saw your post in disc. nice additions/ I'll still need a week to research what the items are and do, but I wouldn't underestimate the quality in your choices.

#4917  by strumminsix

JerJones wrote:Musicians friend is definitely were I do most of my shopping...
Thanks for the links....I have looked (dreamed) through those packages recently, and MF is no doubt the best price for equipment.I bought a cheap mic package from them, and then recently purchased a sennheiser e835 from local guitar center. All those PA packages look gooood! I may have to wait one more month!
Purchased within last two months; my comeback beg. pkg.
rig: PRS soapbarII SE
Fender Blues Deluxe
TC Elect. M300
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Q-zone
PS,
Saw your post in disc. nice additions/ I'll still need a week to research what the items are and do, but I wouldn't underestimate the quality in your choices.
MF is a sister company to Guitar Center. If you go into GC with the print out of the page tell them you will buy it that day if they give you a discount. They have built in room to reduce by 10% and still make a profit. Trust me on this.

Looks like you've made some great purchases. Good for you! The PRS is a beaut (what color?), the TC is just plain great quality and the HRDx is really a sweet amp!

Awesome!

What post are you talking about? What is "disc"?

Glad to help!

#4918  by tigerstrat

How's the Dunlop Q-Zone? Is that an envelope filter?

#4926  by JerJones

Strumminsix, I meant that this post/topic about the PA should have went under the General Discussion that describes "How to sing". The purchase of the TC M300 really delivers great reverb/delay....One thing about it is that it didn't come with that MIDI footswitch they offer. That footswitch is another $130....Today I am going to try vocals with the M300 and see if it's just as cool....That 10% move on purchases will have me shoppin' this weekend....The PRS is sunburst/mahogany neck and body. What I like about it is the weight of it(thin body). Its neck joint is like an SG, and the neck is fat it feels good to me. I had intonation problems and wrote about this in an earlier topic, but overall its great to start back on.

Tigerstrat, the Q-zone by Dunlop, to be honest with you, I never learned to much about the jargon of electronics. I do remember years ago that when I fooled around with the Crybaby, I used to leave the pedal on just not use it. The Q-zone works this way for you....They say its related to the envelope filter/Auto wah something or other, but its limited in the enjoyment/sound it delivers. It looks from the other disscusion topic posted under "what gear do you have", you have this area covered with the correct effect by now....