#10439  by HOWEYMAN

How difficult is it to change out pickups, specifically on a strat model. If I were to grab a new set, would they just bolt in and wire in fairly easily. I assume I would need a sodering gun, or should I just pay to have them installed by a tech.?

#10445  by squire758

i wouldnt reccomend going to a tech, i inquired about changing pickups before and they said it was $65/hr so i just had my brother wire it, on the internet i found digrams for wiring all different pickup setups. so you might as well find someone you know who knows wiring and give them the diagram. But i must answer your question with a question. I have a Ibanez Artcore FWD60 which is a hollowbody, with a set neck and no opening in the back so how would i change pickups in that thing?

#10452  by FretfulDave

I purchased and installed Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups, pots and swtich in my '74 Strat along with a new shielded and gounded pickguard. I am very glad I did this but it was tedious. My frend and I did it one afternoon. He was at some point an electronics tech and had a lot of experience and a lot of electronic soldering gear like a solder sucker (incredibly useful).

All in all we had to take turns (we are getting old) and I believe it took about 3 hours or so. We counted more than 30 solder connections, I can't remember the exact number but I think it was actually quite a few more. So it takes a while from a kit.

I have since seen offerings of pickups, pots, switch and jack pre-mounted for your convenience on a pickguard, ready to be installed as a unit in your strat. For a fee, of course. When I did the kit, the pickups had just come out and there was nothing else available. If I were to do it again I would consider spending the extra money for the pre-done one if it had good components, the Fender pickups, etc.

If you have all good shielded components already (pots, pickguard) and you are just switching the pickups, then you are looking at like six de-solder and solders, but there are other connections that you could disturb on the pots and so it is a little more complicated than just six individual connections. That would not be anywhere near as much hassle as what I did.

Dave