#10344  by HOWEYMAN

In a seperate topic I asked for your input on an SG guitar. Well, after some thought, I think I'm going to go with my first choice of a strat.

I was hoping for some input with this question. Is it worth the extra dough fore the deluxe, specifcally the pickups. I plan on getting the HSS. the American has the Tex-mex, while the deluxe has the cobalt noiseless pickups. (both have the S-1 switching)

What are the different tones between the tex-mex and cobalts?

I could go and sit at guitar center and play both, but, damn, it's like a circus everytime I go in there, and I like to get info from people with expirience.

#10353  by tigerstrat

I'm not a particular fan of Tex-Mex Fenders, but have not heard the Cobalts that I know of. You might wind up replacing them either way... Are you set on getting a new guitar? I would check out Craigslist in your area first and foremost...

#10360  by HOWEYMAN

Hmm. All new american srats have either tex-mex or cobalt.

Why don't you care for the tex-mex pickups?

As far as a new guitar, I guess if I found a nice used one, I would consider it.

#10375  by Billbbill

The one I'm using in the wlaf and Black Peter vid is a tex mex. Jimmy Vaughn model. I really am not that knowledgeable regarding strats, all I can say is I like the one I have so I can't really help you compare.
:oops:

#10394  by China Cat

I have the American Deluxe Strat, with a v-neck. The SCN's are amazing. They can basically do anything, especially with the S-1 switching. They can get a traditional fender twag, nice round sound with a lot of midrange, or a fat, bassy, humbuckerish sound. I get absolutely no buzzing, hissing, etc when i play straight into my amp, and i get very little even with a pedal chain.

I dont like the tex-mex PU's as much as SCN's just because they are les versatile. As you could guess, they get a great texas SRV or ZZ Top kind of tone, but are a little too hot to be able to get a humbucker of P90/round sound tone.

The American Standard DOES NOT come with S-1 switching, rather a Delta Tone control in the second tone know. To quote fender.com: (“Delta Tone” system includes high output bridge pickup and special No-Load tone control for Middle and Bridge Pickups)

PIckups aside, the American Deluxe has better hardware (floating bridge, locking tuners) and better quality woods. The neck on my is beautiful and plays flawlessly. The body grain is beautiful and it is really resonant.

I love me Am Deluxe, and I've had it for 2 years without any problems at all. It has perfect tone for any applications, esp thru a good fender amp (i have a hotrod deluxe). It gets better with age, which is a great quality.

#10437  by HOWEYMAN

I proably will step it up to the deluxe, hell, this will be the last exspensive guitar I buy for a long time. Now, quilt or flame top..........lololo? I was wanting a black on black with rosewood fretboard, and I don't believe that the deluxe comes from the factory with that option. Oh well, more excuse to step it up to the quilt or maple top, that tobacco sunburst is sweet!