#138791  by BigBoyPete

I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations for any well-made and accessible DVD's to help me build up my chops. I am always looking for new, sneaky ways to learn and apply theory. I would love to build my knowledge of modes and improvisation, memorize the fretboard and just improve my approach in general. It's a fairly vague question, but I would love any and all advice! Thanks Guys,
Pete
 #138792  by James-T

John McLaughlin's This is the Way I Do It. DVD set. Its awesome. I only made it through the first chapter but boy it changed the way I approached guitar. When I got serious about playing 6 or 7 years ago that's where I went to learn. I think I bought it online. It's for sale on his website. He say's you have to be able to read music to follow it but I managed to get through that chapter faking it! :-) I don't read music.

It's going to get you in the Jerry headspace real quick versus the typical blues lesson's and anything on youtube. :smile:

Peace,

James
 #138793  by ccw3432

Nate LaPointe put two DVDs together that are great. Grateful Dead: A Step-by-step Breakdown of Grateful Dead's Guitar Styles and Techniques. He does not go too deep into theory, but he takes Dead songs and gives a detailed breakdown on each DVD. I really like that he does the Jerry and Bob parts for each song.
 #138796  by TI4-1009

I just bought a few more of these, good mix of practical how-to and Jerry theory:

http://www.gratefulguitarlessons.com/

8 1/2 fingers plus two thumbs up.