#7905  by HOWEYMAN

I was wondering if any plays with steel strings on their acoustic rather than bronze? I have a Martin d3-r, and have played bronze strings ever since day one, as sweet and smooth as the tone is, I can't help but hear that "steel" tone a bunch of acoustic music that sounds different from mine.

#7908  by wisedyes

I dunno; what kind of strings are Elixirs? I have tried brass strings before, did not like them at all.

#7909  by HOWEYMAN

wisedyes wrote:I dunno; what kind of strings are Elixirs? I have tried brass strings before, did not like them at all.

Elixer make an acoustic bronze. Bronze strings are bronze-gold in color.

#7910  by Trystine

I used to play with nothing but elixers. Like everybody else I was impressed by their life and tone. But those were the takamine days...
...When I finally got a Martin I slapped some Elixirs on it and they changed the sound of the guitar dramatically for the worse. It made it sound too "plastic" is the only way I can put it. I went back to bronze Martin strings and never looked back. They may not last as long but I think they're the only strings that can bring out a Martin's full potential. I also think that the more worn in they get the better they sound...until they break :cry:

#7911  by HOWEYMAN

Yea, I used the elixer acoustic bronze for a time after using the martin bronze. The bronze Elixer's were pretty sweet, but I have to agree that the Martin Bronze just may be the best. I went into Guitar Center one day and they said they didn't carry Elixers anymore. Weird.
I'm just wonderin if steel strings is a common thing on an acoustic.

#7940  by HOWEYMAN

I'm wasn't getting much response so I thought I would ask again. Does anyone prefer steel strings over bronze? I don't think Garcia used bronze on his acoustic playing?

#9800  by confusions_prince

How 'bout I try out the steel strings sometime this week? :-)

#9824  by amyjared

I much prefer steel strings. I, like Trystine, used Elixers for a time (and still use them on my beater guitar for their playability and life) but hated them on the Martin. I like the feel of the steel, although it did take some getting used to. I think it's personal preference, so try both steel and bronze and see which you prefer.

#10440  by confusions_prince

I switched to steel strings a few weeks ago, and ever since then, I've been noticing the sound of small wood shavings rattling 'round. It's not from the added pressure of steel, is it?