#6367  by steve
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:51 am
hey all,

im curious as to what types of strings you guys prefer. For electric, ive been using 10s, haven't really found a particular brand that i seem to stick with. acoustic i generally play on 12s, elixers are my favorite if i can find them. i've been thinking about getting some 13s, anyone have any comments or preferences?

#6369  by wisedyes
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:58 am
Different strings on each guitar. On my Alvarez acoustic, I like Elixir 12's, on the Simon & Patrick fingerpicking guitar, I like Martin Silk and Steel 11's.

D'Addario 10's on the one Yamaha electric, 12's on the Yamaha jazz box, and Ernie Ball 10's on the Strat. Took me along time to settle on stuff like that.

#6382  by steve
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:38 pm
have you tried any different sizes on your acoustic? im curious as what the difference in sound and playability are

#6383  by nedcat
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:46 pm
I will swear by D'Addario EJ16's for the Acoustic. Bottom E is a 12 guage. Been using them forever.
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky for electric with bottom guage 10. I tried D'Addario Jaz Electric strings a few years back and they were too thick and I could not the bendability that I need for solos. I have heard great things about the Elixirs, have not dared to try them yet though.

#6388  by FretfulDave
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:01 pm
currently...

on the acoustic - DiAddario Acoustic lights, 10 gauge

on the Strat - Fender electric lights, 9 gauge

on the Taylor T5 - Elixir electric extra lights, 8 gauge

usually I use DiAddario Electric light 9 gauge on the Strat. So does Carlos :-) The other guitar player uses mediums, 11 gauge and keeps getting lights for some reason and gives to me. I have some Dean Markley's to try. Never did them before.

For years I used Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9 gauge) on the Strat. Good string. I just want something less "springy" now. Both the Fender and the DiAddario fit that bill.

On the acoustic, I used extra light acoustics up to a couple years ago, 9 gauge. When I finally started playing with other folks and my guitar is a 1981 Ovation, deep bowl, grand auditorium style body, I found that dreadnoughts totally drowned it out. I was told to switch to heavier strings and I went up a notch to acoustic lights 10 gauge, usually DiAddario, but Ernie Ball Earthwood sometimes. The guitar got louder, the tone got fuller and deeper. Harder to finger, but good for strengthening. You get used to it real fast.

The T5 came with the ultra light Elixirs. I did not like the feel of them, too slippery as they are coated strings. Too light also. The strings bent under my fngers at times when playing chords aggressively (not hard). Now after playing them for a while and being too lazy to put new strings on, the coating has pretty much worn off and they are getting dead and I like them a lot better.

Dave
Last edited by FretfulDave on Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #6389  by st stephen
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:02 pm
i have been looking for very heavy thick strings for my acoustic. Can any one help.

#6390  by jck_strw
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:21 pm
I play on Elixir 11s. Polyweb? Nanoweb? It's got the shit on it. :)

I did just buy 3 packs of these new D'addario EXP strings. 12s. Twas a Merlefest special and I haven't put them on yet. Cheaper than the Elixirs, but we'll see how they sound.

#6391  by tigerstrat
 Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:29 pm
When performing, brand-new strings are what I use. Change them that day, and stretch them out right before soundcheck. Doesn't matter too much what brand as long as they are ffffffresh.

Then I let them get as old and dull and flat as they want to until the next public performance. I play 10's on the electric and usually buy D'Addario's. My acoustic pretty much only gets new strings once per summer.
 #6482  by Playdeadphish
 Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:58 am
i was reading an interview with kimmock once and he talked about changing the strings the night before he plays so they can stretch overnight.

i gave it a go and found i stay in tune a bit better that way...

just an idea...
glenn
 #6483  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:04 am
Playdeadphish wrote:i was reading an interview with kimmock once and he talked about changing the strings the night before he plays so they can stretch overnight.

i gave it a go and found i stay in tune a bit better that way...

just an idea...
glenn
+1

If I have a gig on Sat, on Fri, rehearse first set, change strings, rehearse second set, on Sat, quick warmup and go over trouble tunes and I'm good to go!

#6489  by eyeprod
 Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:47 am
DR and/or super slinky 10's. the DR are nice quality strings and they last pretty well. they say stretching is bad for strings. i used to do it, now i just play the hell out of them to break them in. i hate the sound of new strings when you first put them on.

#6492  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:22 am
I always stretch new strings ever since a luthier taught me how he does it. Basically, when the strings are strung and wound once or twice go up and down it like three times pulling and releasing the string between your thumb and fingers using both hands.

It's tough to describe but you'll easily be able to get it once you find the groove.

#6504  by tigerstrat
 Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:19 pm
overnight is completely unneccessary... you'll STILL have to stretch them out before final tune-up. I'm surprised SK would say something like that. Is that supposed to sub for hand-stretching them?

And I would rehearse as little as possible on your freshies before performing. Just makes them lose that much more of their sparkle, earlier in the show...

#6510  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:47 pm
I'm a rhythm and fills player so when I perform I don't do many bends and in my experience even with stretching they will be out of tune ever couple of tunes.

However, every guitar and brand of strings react differently.

My preference is to tune-up 4 times a show max:
1. before soundcheck
2. before first set
3. before second set
4. before third set

It drives my nuts to see people tuning between songs.

#6512  by tigerstrat
 Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:01 pm
I usually only have to tune after a real bender of a song like Samson, or Passenger or Hard To Handle, along those lines, or sometimes at the end of a long uninterrupted sequence of songs. Usually only about once during the course of each set.