#7556  by HOWEYMAN

I had this crazy thought today and it kind of relates to the topic of this discussion.

This question/comment may seem kinda dumb to some of you guitarists out there, but I think about this a lot, and that is memorizing music. I find it amazing how a band (of any talent level) can get on the stage and play 2 or 3 hours of music and have it all in their head.This is something I deal with just practicing. I learn a riff, get it down, then come back an hour later and have to rethink it sometimes. (it pisses me off, maybe I was never met to go beyond a hobby musician.) How do you get to the point where you can just pick up your guitar and play 10-12 tunes note for note from memory. How is that achieved by a proffesional or just the guy jamming down at the local bar. (by now you guys are proably sayin "just give it up dude") I know some of you are scratchin your heads thinking what the f is talking about.
When a band first forms, does it take a couple months of practincing together before something sweet developes. I may have a chance to play in a band soon, and maybe "playin in the band" will enhance my memorization skills and force me to get better. You know what I mean? Maybe not.
I know If I get into a band I could memorize the chords to play rythm, but a lot of music is melodic lines out of the chords.
Anyways, just a crazy thought.
Who out their can just pick up the guitar and jam any Grateful Dead solo on the fly at any time?

#7570  by AugustWest

I've played in a local band for the last year. Nothing too serious but a hell of a lot of fun. It's not neccesary to memorize things note for note to play in a fun local band(if it was I would be in trouble). You only have to memorize chord changes. Which for A LOT of songs is really really easy. From the chords you can improv your leads with in the appropriate scale. The bass player can play with in that scale or use arrpeggio's within any given chord. From their just jam out and pray to god you can remember all the lyrics. When you start a band, start with some easy songs to get the wheel's rollin. I recomend "midnight hour" "knockin of heavens door" "I know you rider" "The Wieght" "easy wind", or any blues song. Easy I IV V progressions are good to stick to like "cc rider" "lepord skin pill box hat" "deep elem blues" "Mr. Charlie" ect.

#7609  by xStonr

Natural talent I know I don't have so I've got to keep practising, usuall on a daily basis. Even with songs I've played constantly day in and day out, I still find is a bit frustrating that I'll forget a chord or play the wrong chord and get the song. But I just keep plugging away anyway.