#166428  by lbpesq

Like the thread title says, I’m putting together an Alligator and am considering a couple of internal deviations. I’m thinking of mounting the battery in the unused tremolo spring compartment (why this wasn’t done in the original is a mystery to me). I’m also considering mounting the preamp back there with easier access to adjustment than under the input jack. I know Alligator had an Alembic Stratoblaster circuit. I’m wondering if I should stick with the Blaster or go with a buffer/preamp like the Waldo TCP-2? I know just enough about electronics to get in trouble, so suggestions/explanations/opinions from those of you who have a better understanding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill, tgo
Pointclear liked this
 #166435  by Gr8fulCadi

I have both, each in its own strat. The blaster is in a natural American made special edition strat, maple neck and 65’ fender pups. The buffer is in an American strat as well, maple neck and Seymour Duncan antiquity surfer pups. The Wald buffer is the TPC1, non-adjustable and the blaster was purchased new from Alembic a couple years ago. I like both to be honest in its own way. I can post a clip of each if that would help any?
 #166436  by lbpesq

If you are telling me they are similar and both get the job done, I’m inclined to stick with the original Blaster circuit. I guess what I’m really asking is if there is any significant advantage or improvement in using the TCP-2 over the Blaster? As for audio clips, while I appreciate the offer, I have always questioned the usefulness of listening over my iPad or computer speakers.

Bill, tgo
 #166437  by joshq

Gr8fulCadi wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 pm I have both, each in its own strat. The blaster is in a natural American made special edition strat, maple neck and 65’ fender pups. The buffer is in an American strat as well, maple neck and Seymour Duncan antiquity surfer pups. The Wald buffer is the TPC1, non-adjustable and the blaster was purchased new from Alembic a couple years ago. I like both to be honest in its own way. I can post a clip of each if that would help any?
I actually would be interested in clips if you're ever inclined to share! I have a tpc 1 in a strat which I love. And, a blaster I'm trying to figure out what to do with.
 #166439  by Gr8fulCadi

joshq wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 pm I have both, each in its own strat. The blaster is in a natural American made special edition strat, maple neck and 65’ fender pups. The buffer is in an American strat as well, maple neck and Seymour Duncan antiquity surfer pups. The Wald buffer is the TPC1, non-adjustable and the blaster was purchased new from Alembic a couple years ago. I like both to be honest in its own way. I can post a clip of each if that would help any?
I actually would be interested in clips if you're ever inclined to share! I have a tpc 1 in a strat which I love. And, a blaster I'm trying to figure out what to do with.
Sure thing, I can do a short clip of each and I’ll PM them to ya.