#166341  by zkinard

Hi all,

First post here. Hoping for some guitar purchase insight.

What appears to be the better value the PHRED instruments Wolph, which I've read up on a bunch here in these forums, or this new Eastwood Wolph replica that is available for pre-order--not to much posted that I could find.
https://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects/je ... lf-guitar/

I didn't see much listed in the forums regarding the Eastwood. It's the final week to pre-order the Eastwood if I decide on that one. Price difference for me here is roughly $900 (PHRED w/ wiring upgrade) vs. $1,500 (Eastwood).

Wondering if the Eastwood is worth the extra scratch. Looks like better quality overall w/ neck through like the OG Wolph just not search how much added value. Comments/opinions welcomed & appreciated.

Kindly,
Zach
 #166342  by strumminsix

Do you want the sound or the look? Think EW is a nice build but specs aren't right and they chome vs brass.. think they've been reading some forums as I see things have changed.

With all the good builders who can build similar guitars custom to your desires, it still boggles my mind that folks want these replicas with ambiguous specs
 #166343  by zkinard

In my case, it really comes down to dollars and cents. Certainly don't have the moolah for a full-on custom build based on what I've searched out. Wish I did :( I'm more concerned with the sound than the look. Eastwood upgraded a few things including brass pickup plate and toggle I believe. Don't think all hardware will be brass to the extent of the original but looks like they made some important design decisions since getting the prototype back.
 #166344  by lbpesq

Looking at the pics, I notice that Phred has a Quilted Maple veneer on top while the Eastwood prototype is plain wood. On the other hand, the Phred looks to have squared sides, like a Telecaster, while the Eastwood’s edges are more rounded over and, according to the link, will be even more rounded in the production version. If I was looking for a guitar to play Jerry stuff on a $1500 budget and sound was more important than looks, I’d probably be more inclined to put together an Alligator using a real Fender than either a Phred or an Eastwood.

Bill, tgo
tntawney, milobender liked this
 #166347  by milobender

I agree with lbpesq
I haven't see an Eastwood, but have several PHREDs, and as far as they go, if you want the looks, ok, but the build is not close to the looks. I would also go with modifying and existing guitar. For a player, find a cheap guitar, maybe bad cosmetics, with a good neck and fretboard you love, and fix it up. You can make a real nice player with $1500, if you do all the work yourself.
ac4468 liked this
 #166354  by Searing75

Well, I have a Phred Wolph that I put D. Allen Voodoo 69's in, a Kluson harmonica bridge, brass nut, stratoblaster, and rewire, and it sounds amazing! So, i really can't speak for the stock Wolph. The build is nice, the neck is wonferful, and it is light with a snappy, lively tone. The 25.5" scale is important as well.
 #166361  by PLS30820

I ordered a Wolf from Eastwood before the ending date of 6-22-19, so if you haven't already put in the deposit, you'll have to wait and see if someone backs out to get one. Anyway, the EW has a through neck and the phred has a set neck. The EW has the super 2's, obel, and brass hardware already included which is extra on the phred. So with all the additions to the phred, it is more expensive. We'll see how the EW plays/sounds when it gets shipped in December.