#163494  by Scriscitello
 Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:06 am
waldo041 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 am
Scriscitello wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 am

When i turn the buffer on, I think it’s just a very subtle boost. The notes are slightly more articulate, but it’s nothing outwardly noticable that changes the volume or presence of sound. I just wanted to make sure that that is how it should be.
As stated it should be a distinct, but subtle difference if any at all. That is what is supposed to be, transparent and clear. SOME OTHER BUFFERS COLOR THE TONE, and something like this circuit can show you exactly what the buffer is doing to the original signal!

Even though we know Jerry's buffered guitars were wired with the buffer always on in circuit, Jerry did not use the Buffer for the cable run from his guitar to the amp. It was implemented to drive the long run associated with the OBEL once the switch was added onboard the guitar. This Hybrid wiring could have been used by Jerry, it also allows the guitar to be used if the battery drains.

~waldo
Sounds like everything is as it should be then! Thank you so much for all the great info. That’s so cool to think Jerry’s guitar could’ve been set up this way too. Thank you, and every one else on this thread, for the great insights. I find all of this so fascinating, and now understand it much better. Cheers!
 #163495  by Jimv
 Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:17 pm
congrats on the new axe, Sammy, and thanks for posting!
i hesitate to ask, but here goes...
i am using a TPC-1 in pedal. i use a 7' cord between guitar and pedal. (i am aware best is in guitar) 25k EB volume pedal last before smsctp. what really led me to using a buffer years ago (before knowing anything whatsoever about guitar wiring or findinding rukind) was two things: tone loss through fx and feeling like my signal was nearly impossible to controle for consistency... frustrating... when i started using a buffer i noticed two big differences: my fx sounded way better AND this little detail... a/b'd the signal/tone sounds (bear w driscriptive sound words) "hotter" or "crisper" but perhaps maybe "thinner" when guitar is pugged directly into amp w/o buffer. Ive always turned the gain down slightly on amp to smooth out. i got a TPC-1 in a pedal just for this reason, to smooth this out regardless of what guitar or amp i use. (this question obviously goes beyond jerrytone exclusivly) tone wise i prefer w tcp1 over direct into amp. this difference is subtle but distinctly there. ive not heard this mentioned here, just all the other benefits to using a buffer.
is the signal/tone i get w ax plugged directly into amp my "baseline" that i should strive to maintain, or is this subtle difference between hiZ and lowZ normal and im right on track. asking this because of
waldo041 wrote:Even though we know Jerry's buffered guitars were wired with the buffer always on in circuit, Jerry did not use the Buffer for the cable run from his guitar to the amp.
i love my tone/signal w buffer. clear, transparent, controllable. just curious about this other little difference, if my discriptive words make sence to any one.
stock pots on guitars coming into play?
 #163500  by waldo041
 Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:02 pm
Jimv wrote:congrats on the new axe, Sammy, and thanks for posting!
i hesitate to ask, but here goes...
i am using a TPC-1 in pedal. i use a 7' cord between guitar and pedal. (i am aware best is in guitar) 25k EB volume pedal last before smsctp. what really led me to using a buffer years ago (before knowing anything whatsoever about guitar wiring or findinding rukind) was two things: tone loss through fx and feeling like my signal was nearly impossible to controle for consistency... frustrating... when i started using a buffer i noticed two big differences: my fx sounded way better AND this little detail... a/b'd the signal/tone sounds (bear w driscriptive sound words) "hotter" or "crisper" but perhaps maybe "thinner" when guitar is pugged directly into amp w/o buffer. Ive always turned the gain down slightly on amp to smooth out. i got a TPC-1 in a pedal just for this reason, to smooth this out regardless of what guitar or amp i use. (this question obviously goes beyond jerrytone exclusivly) tone wise i prefer w tcp1 over direct into amp. this difference is subtle but distinctly there. ive not heard this mentioned here, just all the other benefits to using a buffer.
is the signal/tone i get w ax plugged directly into amp my "baseline" that i should strive to maintain, or is this subtle difference between hiZ and lowZ normal and im right on track. asking this because of
waldo041 wrote:Even though we know Jerry's buffered guitars were wired with the buffer always on in circuit, Jerry did not use the Buffer for the cable run from his guitar to the amp.
i love my tone/signal w buffer. clear, transparent, controllable. just curious about this other little difference, if my discriptive words make sence to any one.
stock pots on guitars coming into play?
I may have played down the attributes of the the TPC-1 preamp a bit. :D

What i meant was that the addition of the switch on-board to toggle the OBEL called for a preamp and that in turn called for a change in a pot value for the volume control. That preamp in Wolf was a Blaster when that changed was made with the addition of the switch, until it was switched to the EMG JG preamp in 89. It guzzled Batteries and when the time came to get Tiger wired he asked Cutler to make it for him and told him what he wanted. Point is, Jerry adapted very well to the change which was a progression up til Tiger where it climaxed. But the actual use of the preamp was born out of necessity and not a want. Obviously he like it enough to keep it the rest of his life.

A guitar cable lengths capacitance when the guitars is full ON volume(zero resistance), does not introduce the reaction that causes the High Pass Filter cutting High End and Power. Meaning if you play with your guitar at full volume it should be very close to the same it it were buffered. With the same guitar with a buffer placed into it, it can do that full volume passive thing throughout it's rotation of its guitars volume control with the active electronics.. The OP's is shy of that one benefit of the buffer ALWAYS IN the circuit.

The OP's wiring does not allow for that, or a 20+ long cable from his guitar to his amp.

~waldo
hippieguy1954 liked this