#4776  by Crowhead

When its just you and your guitar (acoustic guitar more specifically but not necessarily) and no one else is around to hear...what is the first song you start playing?

For me its Sugaree.

#4777  by otherones90210

Sugaree for me too....

#4778  by Billbbill

There are certainly a few (sugaree included) that I'll play without even thinking what I'm gonna play after picking up the guitar (often my martin backpacker- most convenient in a pinch).

Sometimes I'll just work the blues without any particular song in mind, working on melding maj and min scales in different ways.

Many times it's whatever I was last listening to. I'll try some things while it's fresh in my head.

#4779  by strumminsix

Throwin' Stones

#4782  by Shaggy

I more often than not just fool around with some fingericking patterns and run through a number of routines and progressions. A little blues. Things I am working on or stuff that comes into my head without thinking.

As far as songs go - Sugaree is one of my favourites to play. I love playing many of Jerry's songs on acoustic by myself like Loser, Bird Song, Black Peter, Brown Eyed Women and Reuben And Cerise.

#4790  by spilly

I just start out in Am and let the world unravel before me
pablomago liked this

#4798  by shakedown_04092

My all-time favorite acoustic song to play:

WRS Prelude > WRS 1 > Let It Grow (if I can remember all of Let It Grow...it's tough!)

Another fav is Sitting In Limbo. Love that tune & the way Jer & David used to do it.

Others that come to mind are Jack Straw, Cassidy, On The Road, Race Is On, Days Between, So Many Roads, & Bertha.

#4800  by jjbankhead

my first is usually either Brown eyed women or Uncle John's Band...

next would be Sugar magnolia or scarlett begonias

#4807  by tigerstrat

No one tune presents itself time and time again. I'd say I just start with a chord and/or a two or three note phrase and let it suggest where to go, which very frequently is any of a couple of hundred Grateful Dead songs.

#4808  by HawaiianDedhed

Recently, "The Fisherman" by Leo Kottke, although the intro to Deep Elem Blues often rears its (not-so) ugly head.

#4827  by yem

either wish you were here or over the hills and far away for me

#4843  by b weird

Lately I've been Playing: Playin in the Band>Morning Dew>Dark Star>Morning Dew>Playin in the Band.

#4922  by qiuniu

Bertha>Good Lovin'
or
Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain
or lately
Neighbor, Neighbor or Harder They Come

(LOM has got me in its grips right now) :-)

#4923  by Benthegoodbum

Lately it has been Sunday Morning Coming Down by Cash/Nelson...so one site tells me...
wleeds liked this