#121155  by Smolder

In late summer of 2000 I was in Lake Placid NY doing my very first ironman... it was tough and by the time I started running the 2 lap 26 mile run course it was dark. It went up into the mountains and about 4-5 miles in I start hearing live grateful dead... it was coming from a house about a quarter mile from the road in the woods... totally dark, but just blasting the dead really loud... it was a milestone I looked for the next three times I passed by. Very cool vibe.
 #121184  by Grateful Dad

My family moved into our house almost 11 years ago. One day I heard a sweet live "Sugaree" playing from an outdoor patio stereo coming from across the street. "How cool is that!" I thought. So I went over and introduced myself and it turns out my new neighbor is not only a Deadhead but a drummer too!

At the time I was playing bass in a band that did many Dead covers and Dead related material and we needed a drummer. The band was going through personnel changes so I invited him to play with us and it was a perfect fit. The band eventually split up after many good years together.

Now my neighbor and I are playing in the Tennessee Jedi Band and getting ready to debut in 3 weeks!

So it was definitely a surprise to move right across the street from a Deadhead, a drummer, a steady and reliable band member, and a now a close friend too.

:smile:
 #121195  by mgbills

I seem to catch Touch of Grey on Big Box Store musak fairly regularly.

I find it rather depressing. TOG not only mainstreamed the boys, but moved them right to musak. Ug.

Alabama Getaway blasting from a Mini Super Mercato in very rural Baja Sur. Running on solar. No grid power.

That's a better thought.
 #121228  by troehl

I was living in Spain, in a small residential area outside of Oviedo in Asturias--basically nowhere--and was in in the kitchen one day making a sandwich. With the window open, I heard a car come racing up the street, and I remember thinking to myself as I heard it approaching, 'is that the Dead?' Which would be virtually impossible in a land of Euro top 20, and sure enough this was the one dude in Spain (that I ever knew of) blaring the dead from his car stereo. it wasn't some legendary jam from an epic show--it was studio Uncle John's Band--but that far from home it left a smile on my face for days.

I'm still dumbfounded.
 #121245  by Mr.Burns

Not the Grateful Dead, but...

I was in a grocery store recently and heard some killer MuTron coming through the PA. I thought to myself, that's not any GD song I've ever heard and it froze me on the spot. It was Edie Brickell, and while I'm not a fan, it does feature Jerry. I think I had heard the song before the guitar solo started and had subconsciously dismissed it. I literally did not move until I could identify the song.
 #121248  by Tennessee Jedi

Mr.Burns wrote:Not the Grateful Dead, but...

I was in a grocery store recently and heard some killer MuTron coming through the PA. I thought to myself, that's not any GD song I've ever heard and it froze me on the spot. It was Edie Brickell, and while I'm not a fan, it does feature Jerry. I think I had heard the song before the guitar solo started and had subconsciously dismissed it. I literally did not move until I could identify the song.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_I_Am
so sorry not jerry
:D
 #121257  by tigerstrat

That ain't Garcia. It is a smokin' solo, but credit Kenny Winthrow.
 #121264  by Mr.Burns

tigerstrat wrote:

That ain't Garcia. It is a smokin' solo, but credit Kenny Winthrow.

My bad, thanx for settin me straight. That would explain the wtf? moment it gave me.
 #121267  by Octal

I was in a Coffee Shop a few days ago and I heard these real spacey guitar lines hanging out by the ceiling of the place. "I'd be damned if that's not Jerry." Soon enough it materializes into a very clean Scarlet>Fire. At the peak of the jam I saw one of the attendants close his eyes a put a big smile on.

As it turns out, it sounded like JK was singing, so it was probably Furthur.
 #127384  by pablomago

I was in an Albertsons supermarket one day around the holidays and they're playing a jam that was quoting "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen." I have no idea where it came from, but it couldn't have been anyone else.
 #127610  by NSP

RiverRat wrote:Boston Bruins organist Ron Poster played Shakedown during the Bruins home game on 4/20/13 against the Penguins.
Nice! Two of my favorite things; hockey and the Dead :thewave: