#41637  by Sugareeeee

This one does it for me. Epic status!

June 21, 1980, Anchorage, AK

After about 30 seconds, the SBD kicks in...

http://ia360632.us.archive.org/0/items/ ... 02_vbr.mp3

Here's the show too!

http://ia360632.us.archive.org/0/items/ ... ok.flac16/

Brought to you from your friends "in a van down by the river"

#41638  by bodiddley

It's cliche', but Gotta go with the '77's.

3-18-77 ...one of my all time fav's. A perfect example of less is more.

4-29-77 Bonus track on Download series #1...Really love this version. I just listened to this one again and believe it is a truly great, underrated version that only existed as an aud. tape until this series came out. Worth the buy IMO.

5-19-77 DP29...Jer and Phil lift off like two
Saturn V rockets trying to win a race to the moon.

5-22-77 DP3...perfection.

5-28-77... I believe the longest version, perfectly played, never a dull moment.

10-16-77...Road Trips #2...A rollercoaster ride with a couple terrific peaks.

and those are just the '77 ones I remember.
Last edited by bodiddley on Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#41639  by caspersvapors

the Sugaree on Dicks Picks 3 IS the greatest Sugaree ever

in fact it might be my favorite performance of a Dead song.

other favorites of mine:

Road Trips #2 (really all 77 Sugs are badass)

I also really like the Alpine 89 one

#41641  by caspersvapors

I dig Brent on that 1980 one, and Jerrys weird guitar effects

#41645  by devil

For me its DP3, that one is seared into my brain.

I like a lot of them.

#41660  by bodiddley

Wow. Thanks for suggesting that 7-19-89 Alpine version....sweet as Tupelo Honey! Just wonderful. Don't know how I missed this version before but I'm going to revisit this whole show and listen closely. I know the other 2 Alpine shows were killer but somehow missed this one(excluding the last 3 songs on the first set that were used for the Downhill DVD). Nice recommendation indeed.

#41661  by Sugar

3/18/77

I am biased. I was there. It was a fine concert overall, but I went away completely blown away by the Sugaree. I longed to get a tape of it for many years, and only recently aquired it (a nice sounding SB). I still think that it is a very special performance, one of the real highlights of the many Dead concerts that I attended from 76-78. I am glad to see that it got another mention above.

Sugar

#41662  by CaptainTrips

I could never choose, they were all so good. :smile:

#41663  by BlobWeird

6-22-74 I like how he came out in the first solo. Sounded more in your face than most. 9-11-73 very mellow solo'ing with great vocals. DP3 as mentioned, DP29 as mentioned and a great one 5-5-77. Cant get enough of that one.

#41693  by timothydarcangelo

10-17-83 Lake Placid show opener is far and away tops, none even come close to this one
wleeds, FromWichita liked this

#41694  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Went back and listened to a bunch of my favorites and I have to say it is hard to argue with that Pembroke Pines DP3.

I hadn't listened to that version in well over a year or two and I still knew every note Jerry was about to play. I second the aforementioned "seared into my brain".

#41712  by caspersvapors

timothydarcangelo wrote:10-17-83 Lake Placid show opener is far and away tops, none even come close to this one
you really havent heard DP3 then

#41731  by bodiddley

caspersvapors wrote:
timothydarcangelo wrote:10-17-83 Lake Placid show opener is far and away tops, none even come close to this one
you really havent heard DP3 then

I agree. While the '83 version is certainly energetic, long, spirited, and absolutley smokes Jerry really just keeps saying the same thing over and over and over and so on. The hyperspeed noodling that defined that era seemed more like the coke talkin' than his usual well thought out melodic runs. The '83 version is still one hell of a ride though. My instinct when one says "such and such is the best version ever, hands down", is to argue exactly why it isn't so.

#41798  by ronster

DP3 can't be beat but 9/2/80 Rochester comes close. So much energy. 77 and 80 Sugarees are as good as it gets.

#41806  by Stagger Lee

5/19/77 (DP 29) and 5/22/77(DP 3) are both grate!

also enjoy 12/16/78 (great sounding AUD) and 6/21/80