#174468  by Jon S.

#174471  by Jon S.

If they're being forthright as to why.
 #174472  by strumminsix

It's internal drama. "artistic differences" always = drama.

Plus can't see these 70 year old dudes playing 4 hour high-energy shows night after night on tour in the sun...
 #174473  by lbpesq

The slow I watched (streamed from Wrigley Field) included very little "high-energy" music. Lots of slow and mellow. I watched Phil & Friends streamed live from the Skull and Roses festival over the weekend. Great show, including a horn section! Now that was "high-energy".

Bill, tgo
 #174474  by Jon S.

When the world is running down
You make the best of what's still around.
 #174476  by ebick

lbpesq wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:07 am Sounds like Billy had enough of the dirge-like approach to the material. Glad it’s not health related.

Bill, tgo
Seems like it, but kind of shitty timing. Maybe this should have come up in the initial planning?
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #174478  by strumminsix

I really don't get the comparison of Dead & Co to Phil & Friends or Billy & Kids...

Y'all are comparing a touring machine to couple shows a quarter bands or short runs and they're playing arenas not theaters.

Most of us here likely don't even play Fri & Sat nights cuz it's too damn tiring...
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #174479  by Gr8fulCadi

Anytime a Dead n Co. convo comes about, soon to follow are the Debby Downer comments. Ironically complaining about the “Down Tempo”!! I’ve been to a few Dead n Co. shows and always had a great time, enjoyed the music and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

Never once did I compare it to the Grateful Dead of the 70’s or 80’s, or other music groups…why would I? I’m there to enjoy! I am a little bummed that Bill won’t be participating but I’m still goin!!That’s my $.02
strumminsix, rugger liked this
 #174480  by Jon S.

I've enjoyed all of my 5 (or was it 6?!) D&C shows, too. My secret? I simply enjoy the moment without demanding from it what it isn't intended to and cannot replicate.
strumminsix liked this
 #174482  by Chocol8

lbpesq wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:48 pm The slow I watched
Was this a typo or intentional? Either way I am laughing!!!

If Billy not being there is what it takes to get the tempo up, I am all for it. And please drop the tired line about not comparing them to the Dead or other bands. There is no comparison needed to conclude that they have been playing at a dreadfully slow tempo which has been completely lacking in energy. I find it hard to enjoy a concert when I fall asleep.
 #174483  by Gr8fulCadi

Chocol8 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:59 pm
lbpesq wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:48 pm The slow I watched
Was this a typo or intentional? Either way I am laughing!!!

If Billy not being there is what it takes to get the tempo up, I am all for it. And please drop the tired line about not comparing them to the Dead or other bands. There is no comparison needed to conclude that they have been playing at a dreadfully slow tempo which has been completely lacking in energy. I find it hard to enjoy a concert when I fall asleep.
You da man Chocolate!! :rockon:

More Debby Downer

Narcolepsy?
 #174484  by lbpesq

I meant “slow”. And I suspect without Billy, things might get even more dirge-like. Thankfully, D&C doesn’t do the Dark Star Orchestra thing of picking a particular concert and re-creating it. Otherwise their concerts could take over 15 hours!

hehehehe

Bill, tgo
Chocol8 liked this