#171431  by TI4-1009

I saw this on another discussion board (Beatles) and thought it was interesting. Topic was 1969 music.

"Saw The Grateful Dead and Velvet Underground on the same bill in Chicago in the spring - it was clear there was bad blood between them. The Dead opened, The VU then played a blistering set that seemed aimed at obliterating what we'd just heard from The Dead. The VU was supposed to be the top-billed act that night. But as if not to be outdone, after the VU were gone, with the house lights up, The Dead spontaneously came back out unannounced and began an unplanned continuous jam of a set for those of us who hadn't yet left that lasted for hours, well into the early AM, before they finally morphed into an extended close of "We Bid You Goodnight". The sun was rising over Lake Michigan by the time we finally made it all the way back to campus on the South Side."

Appears to be 4/25 or 26/1969

On a Velvet Underground setlist site I saw this note which may explain a lot"

Note: The Grateful Dead played a long opening set, and so The Velvet's couldn't play very long".

I seem to recall that John Fogerty said something similar about following the Dead at Woodstock. :lol:
strumminsix liked this
 #171432  by TI4-1009

Another review (on Deadnet):

"Can't remember if I was at the 4/25, 4/26 - I think maybe both. Panhandled the $5 admission.Saw Billy by the snack bar. "Diggin' the gig, Bill," "Oh, thanks." Three bands on the bill played an hour (?) each, with two rounds. Velvet Underground was 1st(?), GD 3rd - don't remember who was 2nd. As the GD zombies set up the stage, Phil came out front, daring anyone to meet his eye - establishing his status as apha male. The Dead played their first set - began w/Accoustic AOXOMOXOA. Not crowded - you could get really close, and I got a good look at the tie-dyed Fender amps, and Phil's Guild bass with the quadruple umbilicus feeding (I believe) 4 Dual Showmen? It was that loud, assertive, undistorted bass, as well as all the guitar, and drum tones in general that - among other things - first impressed me about the GD. The later component rigs didn't have that hot 6L6 tube sound - ah nostalgia! The Dead set was going long, so Lou Reed came out asked GD to vacate the stage so VU 2nd set could commence. Pigpen stuck his middle finger in Lou's face, and w/no objection from the crowd, GD continued, ending w/ Lovelight. Electric Theatre impressario Aaron Russo came out and yelled "More!" w/the crowd - "There's only one Grateful Dead!" Jerry asked us what we wanted to hear, and I and another guy yelled "Alligator," but the consensus seemed to be Viola Lee, which they did, and I think that may be the one on "Live From The Phil Zone." Aaron Russo was later agent, producer and husband of Bette Midler- ran for Pres as Libertarian in 2004 - lost primary to Bednarik. Passed away a couple of years ago. Spring of 69 in Chicago was bone dry, and I don't mean the weather. Airplane played Grant Park, announced that we should drop by the Electric Theatre (aka Kinetic Playground) that evening, so I did. My first inkling of Hot Tuna, w/Jack, Jorma & Spencer jamming electric - loud & brilliant, and later, full Airplane played. Jack came out - as he still does - and talked to folks. "I'm really ripped, Jack!" "So, how's it going?" "Tell Grace I love her." "She knows."
 #171433  by lbpesq

One reason there might have been some hard feelings between the two bands was their history. The Dead were originally The Warlocks until they discovered another band had already taken the name, so they switched to G.D. The other Warlocks? They eventually changed their name too ... to The Velvet Underground!

Bill, tgo
Jon S. liked this
 #171434  by Jon S.

lbpesq wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:32 pm One reason there might have been some hard feelings between the two bands was their history. The Dead were originally The Warlocks until they discovered another band had already taken the name, so they switched to G.D. The other Warlocks? They eventually changed their name too ... to The Velvet Underground!
Wow, I never knew the other Warlocks were the VU!

Just found this illuminating article: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/velvet-und ... -warlocks/
lbpesq liked this
 #171450  by jackietreehorn

I would be a little surprised if the VU had a problem with the name. “The Warlocks” only had Lou Reed and John Cale in the band, and according to Reed “had to change our name every few weeks because we were so bad, otherwise no one would hire us.”
The VU version of the Warlocks only put out a few songs and played one show, they were hardly established, and by 1964 they had changed their name.
Lou Reed had a reputation for being “prickly”. He probably didn’t need much of a reason to hate them and Pigpen sticking his finger in his face probably did the trick.
 #171457  by Phrygian

The VU was highly influential and loved by the critics but I have never liked them or Lou Reed. Melody takes a back seat to edgy lyrics, or is even non-existent in VU songs. Dead songs emphasize melody, which is much more to my liking.
TI4-1009 liked this
 #171458  by wabisabied

Phrygian wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:10 am The VU was highly influential and loved by the critics but I have never liked them or Lou Reed. Melody takes a back seat to edgy lyrics, or is even non-existent in VU songs. Dead songs emphasize melody, which is much more to my liking.
I like a lot of VU. Never got near as into them as the Dead. Not to argue that your assessment isn’t generally true, but they do have some melodic tunes, or at least some tunes that get melodic in parts. Candy Says, Walk on the Wild Side (sax solo), Sunday Morning. However even their melodic songs pull me in a completely different direction from the Dead, as in downward, which can be soothing in its way. Better come-down/hangover music than get up up and go tunes, to my ears.