04. Happy Birthday, Leonid Brezhnev 4.43
05. Lady Di And I 5.14
06. Lucifer’s Eyes 4.10
07. Warriors Of The Sun 8.38
08. Jack-A-Roe 4.00

https://allerlei2013riffmaster.wordpres ... lbum-1981/

carlo zakers liked this
 #167114  by Jon S.

What a wonderful world we live in (virus, notwithstanding) - if you don't want to hear something, you don't have to!
brbadg liked this
 #167115  by Jon S.

And for the rest of us - I hope you enjoy Joan harmonizing with Bob and Jerry as much as I do. E.g. (not the studio material - these videos are live):

#167116  by lbpesq

I remember seeing Joan Baez open for the Dead many years ago somewhere in the Peninsula just south of San Francisco. I’m thinking it might have been at the since closed Bay Meadows racetrack in San Mateo? As I recall, Baez was dating Mickey Hart at the time.

Full disclosure: I’ve never been much of a Baez fan. To my ears she approaches songs like someone who doesn’t understand English and memorized the words phonetically without any idea what they mean. For example, she sounds like she’s happy that “we lost Davey in the Korean War, and I still don’t know what for, don’t matter anymore” in her version of John Prine’s “Hello in There”. To me she is like someone who owns an incredible instrument, like a pre-war Martin D-28, but just can’t play it very well.

Anyway, I recall that after she did a set backed with the Dead, the boys did a full set by themselves. When the audience enthusiastically clapped and cheered for an encore, instead of the Dead Baez came out on the stage and thanked everyone for giving her such a reception! Then she said she would like to ask the Dead if they would come out and join her for the encore! I think everyone at the show was actually clapping for the Dead to do an encore, not for Baez.

Bill, tgo
 #167117  by tdcrjeff

lbpesq wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 pm I remember seeing Joan Baez open for the Dead many years ago somewhere in the Peninsula just south of San Francisco. I’m thinking it might have been at the since closed Bay Meadows racetrack in San Mateo?
12/12/81 Fiesta Hall - San Mateo County Fairgrounds
"Dance For Disarmament"
https://archive.org/details/gd1981-12-1 ... eok.flac16
(there are also AUD recordings that include the full Joan set, that I can tell you are *dying* to hear)
 #167121  by Jon S.

#167122  by lbpesq

Makes me appreciate Donna Jean!

If you want to hear the band backing a great singer, check out the 12/31/82 third set with Etta James and the Tower of Power horn section.

Bill, tgo
 #167123  by Jon S.

I confess to some disappointment in the replies so far. Baez is a national treasure who was sufficiently respected by one of the (if not the) best bands ever to invite her up on stage with them multiple times. I don't consider any of the responses so far to my OP inappropriate per se . Lord knows the traffic here since last year's conflagration is minimal already. The forum needs more, not fewer, posts! Respectfully, though, I do believe it may be possible, at times, to buzzkill less. As for my thread with its new-for-some info. on the Dead and Baez, if nothing else, the referenced recordings and videos, too, are a part of the Dead's history and discography. For the first time in history, we can literally save the world by staying home listening to music and watching TV! Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. Best wishes to all and stay healthy and safe. :peas: