#164612  by tntawney
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 am
Did everyone see John’s rant about a terrible gig yesterday? He is getting a pretty big backlash. His apology is on his Facebook page now.

Here is the opening band’s statement

https://from-the-headstash.com/why-we-play
 #164613  by waldo041
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:08 am
Cool to hear Headstash is performing Estimated live now!!!

~waldo
 #164616  by aiq
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:28 am
On the other hand lots of folks now have heard of Headstash.

No such thing as bad publicity?

No joke there can be resistence down here. You should hear the local red-hat politicians get going when Panic comes to town. They warn the scared straights about the “floppy unwashed people” that follow them. When Panic played three nights at the Oak Mountain Amphitheater a few years back DEA set up a camp resulting in over 300 busts.

Outback Festival nearly lost their permit because the Sessions ilk were concerned about...wait for it....Devil Weed!

Things going on that you don’t know. Be careful.
brbadg liked this
 #164617  by Jon S.
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:48 am
tntawney wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:45 am
Did everyone see John’s rant about a terrible gig yesterday? He is getting a pretty big backlash. His apology is on his Facebook page now.
Not much of an apology, methinks, though from JK's perspective perhaps truth is an absolute defense:

"John Kadlecik
17 hrs ·
About yesterday:

I am sorry I mentioned the support band by name. They were forced on us by a promoter/venue team that chose to ignore the spirit of all gig negotiations, if not the letter.

And I am also sorry for other bands that might have seen themselves in my critique and were discouraged.

Armchair critique is totally lame (ahem, PT), and "punching down" is never cool, but you should know this: when you agree to get onstage as support (opening act) for a touring band who are literally risking their lives thousands of miles from home, you are claiming to be peers. You are no longer just a bunch of kids (or moms & dads) on youtube dreaming of making it... you are there.

And peer review is brutal in this world. I certainly have taken my share, all my musical life starting at age 9, and I am a better musician for it.

Peace, Love, & Art,

-John"

P.S. Hyperbole, anyone? ("Touring band who are literally risking their lives thousands of miles from home ...?!")
 #164619  by strumminsix
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 am
WTF! I've respected JK for years. But this shit is crazy. Shitty post and shittier apology.

If he PRIVATELY messaged that to Headstash I'd say it's constructive, maybe harsh, but constructive. To do so publicly is fucking shitty.
 #164620  by cripeowner
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:41 am
"My music teachers Bob Weir & Phil Lesh" Name dropping strike 1
"Punching down" in an apology? strike 2
" Risking life" %$@$ you . Who doesn't risk their life driving to work everyday? What a jack ass. Strike 3
TeeJay liked this
 #164621  by tntawney
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:21 am
He should of just given a normal apology. If he really wanted to prove he was sorry, he would invite them to open for the rest of his shows on Florida. Maybe sit in and help them out. They have like 4 more dates in Florida the next couple of days. It might ease some of the blow back. It might actually produce more of a crowd. I think they had a crowd of 70 at this venue.

Headstash already has new t-shirts
https://shop.spreadshirt.com/comfort-zo ... arance=506

Jambase.com picked up story
https://www.jambase.com/article/headsta ... k-critique

Yikes!!
 #164624  by Gr8fulCadi
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:41 pm
Foot in mouth for sure. I just don’t get the ‘risking their life’ line. I do hvac for a living, crawling up the sides of buildings and working on live 208/230 volt systems. I’d much rather ‘risk my life’ playin a damn 6 string as opposed to climbing ladders and poking around high voltage. But what do I know!!
Poor Peter, milobender liked this
 #164625  by MattMan
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:06 pm
First, I agree with the general sentiment that he irrationally and inappropriately laid into Headstash. The more I read it, the more I feel that he was just mad that headstash did not do a good job of promoting the show, e.g., hanging flyers, making sure that the headline act is correctly spelled, etc. I have felt the same and driving 6-7 hours finding that there's been no promotion for the show, no name on the Marquee, etc. But I never blamed the opening act, nor did I ever feel that they had no right to play whatever they wanted to play at whatever quality they wanted to play it.

John also screws up by saying they had no right to play through a PA, then he goes and says keep it up and good luck.

Just all around Stoopid and fugly.
 #164628  by brbadg
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 pm
Headstash was just the opening band.I don't think it would be necessary for them to promote it.I mean national act and all.Sounds like John made a bad choice. Bad gig, and John K's band ended up angry.I don't know why you have to lay into the opening band though. Kind of uncool.Hopefully he learned something. He's booking and managing himself, which can create problems.I'm not trying to take up for him, just some observations.
 #164631  by lovetoboogie
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm
It's just the hardest thing...associating John with this kind of foot in mouth fiasco. You have to read the multiple threads on Phantasy Tour about this. Some funny people out there... Some saavy individual hacked his FB account. What a mess...
 #164633  by brbadg
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:28 pm
Oh really? John was always so cool to me.It seemed a little out of character. :oops:
 #164634  by brbadg
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 pm
So ,a post to the John K fan group yielded a cold response from the admin,so this must be true.
 #164635  by lovetoboogie
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:10 pm
brbadg wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:50 pm
So ,a post to the John K fan group yielded a cold response from the admin,so this must be true.
Ugh! Yeah...jambase and Rolling Stone are gonna run with it. This is gonna reflect negatively on the whole "Jerry" player scene. What a dumbass.
 #164636  by brbadg
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:44 pm
Yea.Unfortunately. I have no stake in this , so it doesn't affect me . I usually dont
stay a fan long after stuff like this happens,I'll see.