#163975  by waldo041
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:49 pm
i will take a throwing stones back to back with a slow ass morning dew into long way home>easy answers right after them before i would show this to anyone other than a DeadHead!

~waldo
hippieguy1954 liked this
 #163985  by playingdead
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:50 am
i remember some short TV segment on the making of that record ... Jeff "Skunk" Baxter was producing, they were in the control room and Weir was just as thin as a rail in the purple polo shirt and looked totally coked out. :shock:

I saw them several times, mostly at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ and on the short tour when they shared the bill with the Garcia Band. Billy Cobham was a monster on the drums. Brent was the original keyboard player. Tim Bogert played bass in that lineup -- Alphonso Johnson replaced him, and then Kenny Gradney from Little Feat took over at the end, if I remember correctly.

They had some odd opening acts at the shows I saw ... the Greg Kihn Band (our love's in jeopardy ... wooooooo ... lol) and I think I remember Jan Hammer.

It was also a little weird seeing Weir and Bobby Cochran playing the same Cowboy guitars, not to mention the huge stacks of Peavey gear -- they must have gotten some endorsement checks!
 #163988  by FrettyBoy
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:47 am
playingdead wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:50 am
i remember some short TV segment on the making of that record ... Jeff "Skunk" Baxter was producing, they were in the control room and Weir was just as thin as a rail in the purple polo shirt and looked totally coked out. :shock:

I saw them several times, mostly at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ and on the short tour when they shared the bill with the Garcia Band. Billy Cobham was a monster on the drums. Brent was the original keyboard player. Tim Bogert played bass in that lineup -- Alphonso Johnson replaced him, and then Kenny Gradney from Little Feat took over at the end, if I remember correctly.

They had some odd opening acts at the shows I saw ... the Greg Kihn Band (our love's in jeopardy ... wooooooo ... lol) and I think I remember Jan Hammer.

It was also a little weird seeing Weir and Bobby Cochran playing the same Cowboy guitars, not to mention the huge stacks of Peavey gear -- they must have gotten some endorsement checks!
I saw them at "The Living Room" in Providence at that time. I was standing directly in front of the sound board. at one point I turned around and looked behind me, then back to the stage. "Hey, wait a minute...!" I looked back again....Skunk Baxter was at the board. He played keys on one of those "Beat Meets The Street" songs during the encore. Dave Garland was the new keys/sax guy too if I remember correctly.

The best B&TM show I saw was at the first tour at Orpheum in Boston, with Brent and Tim Bogert.

The funniest was the tour with JGB at the Cape Cod Coliseum. Jerry opened that show. When B&TM came out and started playing, the row of people in front of me all shook there heads from side to side, then got up and left! LOL.
 #164609  by lbpesq
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:05 pm
For me it is a category:

Bob-Weir-random-chords-in-search-of-a-melody songs.

Classic examples include "Victim or the Crime", "Saint of Circumstance", "Throwing Stones" (this one gets a special mention for plagiarizing. The bridge is an instrumental "Samson and Delilah").

Not all of the random chord songs were bad. When they worked, they worked quite well: "Looks Like Rain" and "Jack Straw" come to mind. But when they didn't work ... bathroom break time!

Bill, tgo