#163785  by Felipe019
 Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:30 pm
When oceanbear started this thread, you may remember his song was Attics. OMG! Blasphemy! Perfidy! But hey, that takes balls and I think many of you missed the spirit of the question because you know what DOESN'T take balls? Naming SambaShoeWaveLongWayEternity or rarely if ever played once offs like France or Rosemary. I mean c'mon. EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS that Easy Answers ain't Dark Star, Maybe You Know isn't the Other One and nobody really remembers how France even goes? SO....

In keeping with what I believe to be the interesting part of the question, here are my yucksongs that many heads enjoy:

#1. Absolutely without question, Looks Like Streetcats Making Love is the worst. I can't be in the room when that line comes on or I'll burst out laughing in the quiet arena...oops, sorry Bob. Write better lyrics then...

#2. Row Jimmy - plodding pace, non-sensical lyrics...NEXT...

#3. Ok, Ok. Yes..I will wait til that Deal come round. No, I won't let that Deal go down. Seems kinda contradictory but do ya really hafta repeat it 37 times?

#4 Knockin' - Long dreary Dylan song (one of the only of his songs I disliked them covering) that was always a bummer to end a show.

#5-6 Franklin's Tower/Fire on the Mountain were not always unwelcome, and I count their usual predecessors among my favorites, but damn, both of these were SOOO repetitive, especially the endings (a la Deal).

#7-8 -9 Sugar Mag/Saturday Night/Around - C'mon Bob...always gotta end with one of these 3? Do you know how apeshit we would go if you just once ended a show with Let it Grow or Stranger or Bucket.

#10. I'm sorry, and I've really tried to like it, but Morning Dew is too often too long and too slow.
old man down liked this
 #163799  by Jon S.
 Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 am
Felipe019 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:30 pm
#1. Absolutely without question, Looks Like Streetcats Making Love is the worst. I can't be in the room when that line comes on or I'll burst out laughing in the quiet arena...oops, sorry Bob. Write better lyrics then...
One man's trash surely is another man's treasure!

Did you ever waken to the sound of street cats making love
And guess from their cries you were listening to a fight
Well you know, hate's just the last thing they're thinking of
They're only trying to make it through the night

I typed and taped these four lines to the bottom left of our bedroom mirror. When the missus and I are feeling peeved at each other for whatever reason and we read the lines, their magic works and we're smiling at each other again.
Last edited by Jon S. on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
hippieguy1954, TI4-1009 liked this
 #163800  by Jon S.
 Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 am
Double post. :o
hippieguy1954 liked this
 #163870  by HeadSpace
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 am
Well, if we're now doing worst Dead tunes that are not pretty universally considered awful, I'd nominate Throwing Stones. Corny, preachy, political and soooo overplayed. The Throwing Stones>NFA show-closer combo always struck me as anti-climactic and rote. And the audience clapping/chanting routine after the band left the stage...ugh. Fruity.

Also, never could get behind the slow take on FOTD. Major first-set energy sapper.
 #163937  by Utah Joe
 Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:41 pm
Box of Rain, hands down. When I listen to the Dead on SiriusXM that’s the one song that make me change stations.
 #163948  by TI4-1009
 Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:54 pm
Utah Joe wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:41 pm
Box of Rain, hands down. When I listen to the Dead on SiriusXM that’s the one song that make me change stations.
:shock:
 #163949  by TI4-1009
 Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:02 pm
HeadSpace wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 am
Well, if we're now doing worst Dead tunes that are not pretty universally considered awful, I'd nominate Throwing Stones. Corny, preachy, political and soooo overplayed. The Throwing Stones>NFA show-closer combo always struck me as anti-climactic and rote. And the audience clapping/chanting routine after the band left the stage...ugh. Fruity.

Also, never could get behind the slow take on FOTD. Major first-set energy sapper.
If someone put a gun to my head I could almost agree with Throwing Stones. Not NFA or FOTD.

I don't know how many times I would be savoring the beautiful ending of a post-drums&space Stella Blue and a little voice would pop into my head "oh no...what evil lurks in mind of Mr. Weir? He's not going to... not AGAIN???" Sure enough the spell would be trashed with the invasive opening chords of Throwing Stones. The song had energy, but not much else going for it.
 #163955  by wabisabied
 Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:00 pm
Most of my shows were 88-91. I agree the “Throw-Away” (Throwing Stones->NFA) 2nd set closers were usually a buzz kill, and sometimes led to getting back to the lot ahead of the crowd. Missing a “Knocking on Heaven's Door” encore wasn’t an excessive price to pay, either.
Other mentionables:
Corrina (Velveeta - Cheese it up Bob!)
Touch of Grey (Especially the video, more cheese.)

Studio wise, I love Phil but Box of Rain, as Utah Joe said, usually gets skipped over. I liked the novelty of it live, though.
 #163956  by MikeMcA
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:39 am
Toss up between Memphis Blues and Desolation Row for me. Both OK tunes but way too many verses.

Honorable mention to Mexicali for the super-cringy "girl who's just 14" line.

I don't like to indulge in too much negativity wrt to the boys so let me attempt to redeem myself by saying that I always kinda liked Day Job. It's a peppy little tune and the lyrics are pretty good advice.
 #163960  by TeeJay
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:55 am
Gentleman Start Your Engines
 #163963  by Pointclear
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:30 pm
There are only a handful of dead songs that I can’t get enough of and study (dark star, China cat, eyes, etc), many that I think fondly of though may not listen to, just as many that I can’t call worst songs but don’t enjoy, and then the ones that I loathe....
1) looks like rain - just so hard to listen to and yeah - the “street cats making love” line is awful
2) all songs Phil sings
3) early “psychedelic rock” dead - over-produced, dense, with cryptic and silly jargon - there are a few gems from this era that have stood the total test of time though
3) Vince songs and his twinkly style of synth piano
4) Brent songs - I like to admire his passionate soul from a loving distance

There are a few Jerry songs that I don’t enjoy - “must of been the roses” being tops on the list of regularly played tunes.

I think there is enough diversity in the dead’s catalogue that diverse dead fans will always find material that they love and love to hate.