#149047  by Arafel
 Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:44 am
tcsned wrote:
strumminsix wrote: I love Corrina. And agree, timing was bad for it. Honestly, it was another tune that was primarily carried by Vince. If it had time to mature and Phil and the Devils found their groove it with Jerry dancing on top of it the potential was killer!!!
agreed, I think since Go To Heaven, Bobby/Barlow wrote sharper songs than Garcia/Hunter.
There is no way anything Bobby/Barlow wrote is better than:

Standing on the Moon
So Many Roads
Days Between

Frankly, even Foolish Heart bests any Bobby composition, except Throwing Stones. On that note, I always wondered why "Come waltz with the stars, celestial balls" got changed to "And again the hunt begins, and again the blood wind calls." I liked the former much better
 #149057  by pula58
 Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:44 pm
In defense of "Blues For Allah": I like the phrase "What good is spilling blood it does not grow a thing." Great!

And, I like the Dead's boldness in putting that song on a record. Bravo!
 #149065  by seamones
 Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:31 am
in hindsight its hard for me to accept that Childhoods End and If The Shoe Fits even happened.
 #149071  by wolftigerrosebud
 Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:34 pm
Hah on a forum for deadheads this question seems a little like asking "which relative would you sacrifice?"

Anyway the one that popped into my head immediately was "France" but honestly I've grown to rather enjoy it. I don't think I have a least favorite right now.
 #149072  by wolftigerrosebud
 Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:35 pm
tcsned wrote:I would contend that the worst GD song is any of them when they are just "mailing it in." I'd rather hear a spirited Day Job than see them just going through the paces on Help-->Slip-->Franlkin's
On second thought... Just exactly what tcsned says!! You nailed it man.
 #149305  by oceanbear11
 Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:09 pm
chinacatbundaberg wrote:I'd like to put in a good word for both Picasso Moon and Victim. I like 'em. Even with the songs I get tired of, Me And My Uncle, Bob's cowboy tunes or Day Job for instance there's always something musically interesting happening so it's not a total bust. Brent's contributions I can take or leave alone. Rather leave 'em.
Totally agreed on all counts. Are you my alter-ego or somethin'?
 #149306  by oceanbear11
 Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 pm
tcsned wrote:I would contend that the worst GD song is any of them when they are just "mailing it in." I'd rather hear a spirited Day Job than see them just going through the paces on Help-->Slip-->Franlkin's
Right on, man!
:smile:
 #149307  by joethepainter
 Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:45 am
Could someone please post an example of them "mailing it in" on a Help>Slip>Franks?
 #149308  by tcsned
 Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:33 am
joethepainter wrote:Could someone please post an example of them "mailing it in" on a Help>Slip>Franks?
It wasn't meant as anything particular about a specific performance or even a particular song. Just a comment about the way they played always being much more important to me than what they played. I've seen shows with what looked like amazing set lists but I didn't feel blown away by how they played and likewise I've been to shows where one might call the set list "pedestrian" and was totally knocked over by the performance. I would say that pretty much everything Jerry did in the GD after 92 or so was "mailed in" in some respects. Not that he didn't still have some brilliant moments but they were fleeting.
 #149309  by Ebearius
 Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:27 pm
joethepainter wrote:Could someone please post an example of them "mailing it in" on a Help>Slip>Franks?
3-29-1995
 #149310  by joethepainter
 Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:18 pm
tcsned wrote:
It wasn't meant as anything particular about a specific performance or even a particular song. Just a comment about the way they played always being much more important to me than what they played. I've seen shows with what looked like amazing set lists but I didn't feel blown away by how they played and likewise I've been to shows where one might call the set list "pedestrian" and was totally knocked over by the performance. I would say that pretty much everything Jerry did in the GD after 92 or so was "mailed in" in some respects. Not that he didn't still have some brilliant moments but they were fleeting.
Thanks for clarifying that. I agree. :-)
Ebearius wrote:
3-29-1995
Fair enough. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I intentionally listened to a '95 show.
 #151848  by glyph619
 Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:06 pm
You all pretty much nailed them all. Only I'm very surprised no one mentioned "Push comes to shove". Come on, "even baby tigers will punch you in the nose" lol. Terrible lyrics and music that Jerry could write in his sleep (mailed in)? A recipe for a musical monstrosity. Let me end by saying IMHO!!
 #151880  by mttourpro
 Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:35 pm
joethepainter wrote:
tcsned wrote:
Thanks for clarifying that. I agree. :-)
Ebearius wrote:
3-29-1995
Fair enough. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I intentionally listened to a '95 show.
I was at arguably the worst Help>Slip ever. Absolute TrainWreck StarLake 6 23-92
if you care to listen to the debacle, here you go

https://archive.org/details/gd1992-06-2 ... eok.flac16
 #151909  by alcorelectric
 Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 pm
maybe a little late to this thred but the worst song ive herd from them is......................
Barbed Wired Whipping Party
My God Its Awful