#148202  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:55 am
strumminsix wrote:
Bear62 wrote:The "Broken Arrow that The GD covered is a Robbie Robertson Song from his self titled 1987 Album. Fantastic Album! The GD to my knowledge never covered the Buffalo Springfield tune Broken Arrow written by Neil Young. Great stuff from 1966-7!
You're right. Was told that it was the same but never liked the song enough to do my research...

Maybe some will like this cut... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS5Hp-LFNe0 :lol:
lol - I was just gonna post that video. Rod Stewart does a great job with that tune. I like the original too. Phil . . . not so much. Stewart is a real singer unlike Phil and Robbie. I love both Phil and Robbie but lead singers they are not.
 #148203  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:58 am
I would contend that the worst GD song is any of them when they are just "mailing it in." I'd rather hear a spirited Day Job than see them just going through the paces on Help-->Slip-->Franlkin's
 #148205  by strumminsix
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:51 am
tcsned wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
Bear62 wrote:The "Broken Arrow that The GD covered is a Robbie Robertson Song from his self titled 1987 Album. Fantastic Album! The GD to my knowledge never covered the Buffalo Springfield tune Broken Arrow written by Neil Young. Great stuff from 1966-7!
You're right. Was told that it was the same but never liked the song enough to do my research...

Maybe some will like this cut... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS5Hp-LFNe0 :lol:
lol - I was just gonna post that video. Rod Stewart does a great job with that tune. I like the original too. Phil . . . not so much. Stewart is a real singer unlike Phil and Robbie. I love both Phil and Robbie but lead singers they are not.
Really an amazing difference between a singer singing and an instrumentalist singing. I have lots of respect for Rod even though I don't like his bubble gum tunes. But he had some great tunes with The Faces.
 #148206  by tatittle
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:06 am
I will go with "Blues for Allah". Never really played it live (I think they tried to play part of it once), but to waste 13 min's of space on an album with that seems to be mere spite to record company execs or something.

I met Rod Stewart years ago and he couldnt have been more of a gentleman. Real classy guy the way only Brits can be. He wasnt the least bit upset that I quizzed him about Jeff Beck most of the time lol! But I even like "Do You Think I'm Sexy" in a silly fun satirical way. It was real bizarre that he said "Truth" was his favorite Beck album and I was waiting for it to come in the mail having just ordered it the day before. Of course its really a Rod Stewart album so he has a sense of humor too. Interesting trivia is the New York Dolls played their 1st big show opening for the faces at Wembley before they even had a deal.
Last edited by tatittle on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #148207  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:14 am
strumminsix wrote: Really an amazing difference between a singer singing and an instrumentalist singing. I have lots of respect for Rod even though I don't like his bubble gum tunes. But he had some great tunes with The Faces.
and with Jeff Beck. I'm not a great singer and I have tons of respect for people who are. Rod Stewart is the real deal.
 #148208  by strumminsix
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:29 am
^^^ awesome! Both of you guys start talking about Jeff Beck at the same time!

tcsned wrote:I would contend that the worst GD song is any of them when they are just "mailing it in." I'd rather hear a spirited Day Job than see them just going through the paces on Help-->Slip-->Franlkin's
Fully agree. To quote Beethoven, "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable"
 #148209  by tcsned
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:43 am
strumminsix wrote:^^^ awesome! Both of you guys start talking about Jeff Beck at the same time!

tcsned wrote:I would contend that the worst GD song is any of them when they are just "mailing it in." I'd rather hear a spirited Day Job than see them just going through the paces on Help-->Slip-->Franlkin's
Fully agree. To quote Beethoven, "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable"
Beethoven was a smart guy
 #148216  by bcresci
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:32 pm
So maybe the GD didn't do Corrina all that well, but have to say, I love that tune when done by The Other Ones or Ratdog. There's a Ratdog version of Corrina from the North Charleston PAC (04/11/08) that is absolutely killer. Maybe if the GD had played some of these before they entered the mid-90's decline they would have turned out more interesting?
 #148255  by strumminsix
 Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:47 am
bcresci wrote:So maybe the GD didn't do Corrina all that well, but have to say, I love that tune when done by The Other Ones or Ratdog. There's a Ratdog version of Corrina from the North Charleston PAC (04/11/08) that is absolutely killer. Maybe if the GD had played some of these before they entered the mid-90's decline they would have turned out more interesting?
I love Corrina. And agree, timing was bad for it. Honestly, it was another tune that was primarily carried by Vince. If it had time to mature and Phil and the Devils found their groove it with Jerry dancing on top of it the potential was killer!!!
 #148258  by tcsned
 Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:59 am
strumminsix wrote: I love Corrina. And agree, timing was bad for it. Honestly, it was another tune that was primarily carried by Vince. If it had time to mature and Phil and the Devils found their groove it with Jerry dancing on top of it the potential was killer!!!
agreed, I think since Go To Heaven, Bobby/Barlow wrote sharper songs than Garcia/Hunter.
 #148262  by strumminsix
 Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:07 am
tcsned wrote:
strumminsix wrote: I love Corrina. And agree, timing was bad for it. Honestly, it was another tune that was primarily carried by Vince. If it had time to mature and Phil and the Devils found their groove it with Jerry dancing on top of it the potential was killer!!!
agreed, I think since Go To Heaven, Bobby/Barlow wrote sharper songs than Garcia/Hunter.
Very agreed. It's like the finally hit their stride to nail a few really great tunes in a row!!!
 #148453  by hobosong
 Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:28 pm
No way is Victim or the crime their worst song. Don't get me wrong, I'm never excited to hear it but Bobby really mastered that sort of dissonant sonic tension, and Victim or the Crime might be the best example of it.

And I would listen to 100 VOTC before listening to even one Easy Answers
 #148496  by gdeloian
 Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:11 pm
ANYTHING with Vince on it, playing or singing. Excruciating.

Easy Answers
We Can Run
I will Take you Home
Maybe You Know
Only A Fool
 #148862  by healthy_scratch
 Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:53 am
Not that I am a huge fan of either song and whether it be mere coincidence or deliberate I really could care less, but, I will point out I heard for the first time in decades Prince's song Sign O The Times and was amazed at how strikingly similar the music and whole feel of Prince's late 80s offering is to the verses and structure Bob would go on to write for Corinna. The bridge in Corinna is obviously another story, but the verses are very very similar not only in beat but in musical adornments and arrangement. Anyone else hear it or am I just going deaf.
 #149042  by chinacatbundaberg
 Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:03 am
I'd like to put in a good word for both Picasso Moon and Victim. I like 'em. Even with the songs I get tired of, Me And My Uncle, Bob's cowboy tunes or Day Job for instance there's always something musically interesting happening so it's not a total bust. Brent's contributions I can take or leave alone. Rather leave 'em.