#147816  by oceanbear11
 Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:09 pm
Listening to Attics more and more.
Whoever called it transcendence was right. I shouldn't have bashed it.
:oops:
 #147840  by Charlie
 Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:22 pm
Absolutely love Attics. Also one Brent song that really moves me is "I Will Take You Home" first heard the Nightfall of Diamonds version a few years ago when my daughter was about four and it really pulled on the heartstrings.

Generally I like the Dead's take on country/folk songs far better than when they have a go at traditional blues. (Except some where Pig Pen was doing lead vocal) For example "It Hurts Me Too" on Europe '72 sounds pretty wimpy compared to Elmore James. I'm also not that fussed on most versions I've heard of Minglewood, Little Red Rooster or "Next Time You See Me". Their versions of Rev Gary Davis's "Death Don't have no Mercy" from Live Dead and "Samson and Delilah" from Terrapin Station are exceptions and both excellent.

By comparison I find them much more convincing on country songs like Me and My Uncle, Bobby McGee, El Paso, and particularly their acoustic stuff from Reckoning.

Also some of their Dylan covers, while great songs, are pretty ragged in performance. I would have preferred if they'd spent a bit more time getting these songs together than just trying to wing them on stage.
 #147841  by Charlie
 Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:22 pm
Absolutely love Attics. Also one Brent song that really moves me is "I Will Take You Home" first heard the Nightfall of Diamonds version a few years ago when my daughter was about four and it really pulled on the heartstrings.

Generally I like the Dead's take on country/folk songs far better than when they have a go at traditional blues. (Except some where Pig Pen was doing lead vocal) For example "It Hurts Me Too" on Europe '72 sounds pretty wimpy compared to Elmore James. I'm also not that fussed on most versions I've heard of Minglewood, Little Red Rooster or "Next Time You See Me". Their versions of Rev Gary Davis's "Death Don't have no Mercy" from Live Dead and "Samson and Delilah" from Terrapin Station are exceptions and both excellent.

By comparison I find them much more convincing on country songs like Me and My Uncle, Bobby McGee, El Paso, and particularly their acoustic stuff from Reckoning.

Also some of their Dylan covers, while great songs, are pretty ragged in performance. I would have preferred if they'd spent a bit more time getting these songs together than just trying to wing them on stage.
 #147851  by RiseandFall
 Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:26 am
That slide playing you are hearing on the Row Jimmy is very sweet, one of the best versions for sure, but too bad it is more of Jerry's brilliance on the tune as it is his slide playing you are hearing there and not Bob's. Bob did not start torturing audiences with his at first god awful slide playing until 1978. While he did get better he has always been mediocre to weak with it in my books. Jerry was definitely the better slide player of the 2 - Row Jimmy, WRS Part I, It Hurts me Too etc. I am sure his study and subsequent development into an excellent pedal steel player helped contribute to Jer's tasty standard tuning slide technique.
I'm hearing 2 simultaneous slide parts in it. Listen to Jerry's last solo in the song, and listen for Weir playing (slide).
But then, I may be hallucinating it.
 #147858  by healthy_scratch
 Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:43 am
strumminsix wrote:No mention of Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4u3xBnomBY

This is the first time I have heard this though I had heard of it plenty back in the day. It is pretty weak, but I think you can hear musically the genesis of a Little Light or at least I do. They both do sound rather harmonically similar in structure, with A Little Light being considerably more polished obviously than this one off. Mind you I was never a terrifically great fan either of Just A Little Light. I ignored the lyrics of Revolutionary as I believe I caught some cringe worthy references early on. I was though surprised to hear such a correlation between A Little Light, as I had always assumed from the title that Hamstrung Blues was likely to be a lazy recycling of the 12 bar blues in some form, something akin to Tight Pants Blues (aka Good Times Blues).
 #148183  by oceanbear11
 Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:40 am
aiq wrote:
The expectation sequences, China/Rider, Scarlet/Fire...sacred cows maybe but sometimes I just want to yell "break them up once inna while!"
Yep. Totally agreed.
Good medleys, but it would be nice to every now and then hear a China Cat that didn't go into I Know You Rider, or a Fire that didn't come out of Scarlet Begonias, or something like that.
Last edited by oceanbear11 on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #148184  by oceanbear11
 Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:59 am
People seem to have stopped posting now, so I figured, just for the heck of it, I'd tally up the results.

The generally most disliked Dead song is (drumroll please). . . Corinna.
Runner-up is Little Red Rooster. Third place is Victim or the Crime (which I happen to like, but oh well).

Honorable mention to Day Job.

Honorable mention also goes to Brent's tunes, which, while not hated per se, are generally less loved than other Dead songs. Makes sense to me.

Also to be noted is an official apology to the song Attics of My Life. Indeed a better song than I first realized.

Thanks to all the Deadheads who expressed an opinion here.
 #148189  by strumminsix
 Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:50 am
hotasaPistol wrote:How bout Broken Arrow or Samba in the Rain
Musically, the Dead did Broken Arrow better than Neil or Buffalo or Robertson. But vocally, YUCK!!!

I have to defend Samba. Not cuz I think it's a great song but it has great memories for me. 94, Soldiers field, the band fails and falls thru LSD almost like a cover band where they can't play the verse then the chorus sounds awesome.... iF not for Vince, they would have collapsed. Then Samba takes off! The sun was setting, folks were done with the big sing along disaster of LSD, and ready for second set grooviness. People spinning, dancing, smiling, feeling the groove.
https://archive.org/details/gd94-07-23. ... sbeok.shnf
 #148194  by TI4-1009
 Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:36 pm
For the record, I like Victim, Corinna, and Day Job. I kind of liked the angular, edgy sound of some of Bob's later stuff. Made for interesting listening.
 #148197  by Bear62
 Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:03 pm
The "Broken Arrow that The GD covered is a Robbie Robertson Song from his self titled 1987 Album. Fantastic Album! The GD to my knowledge never covered the Buffalo Springfield tune Broken Arrow written by Neil Young. Great stuff from 1966-7!
 #148200  by strumminsix
 Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:35 am
Bear62 wrote:The "Broken Arrow that The GD covered is a Robbie Robertson Song from his self titled 1987 Album. Fantastic Album! The GD to my knowledge never covered the Buffalo Springfield tune Broken Arrow written by Neil Young. Great stuff from 1966-7!
You're right. Was told that it was the same but never liked the song enough to do my research...

Maybe some will like this cut... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS5Hp-LFNe0 :lol: