#164659  by lovetoboogie
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:38 pm
This is definitely a safe place to vent our support and/or our dislikes...

I have found John to be a phenomenal musician all around as well as an eager student of all things Garcia. Going all the way back to early DSO days. With that said, he singled out specifically a band by name and told them they were not good enough under the guise of his unhappiness with a club. Super lame. His latest clean up though admirable is only on his personal FB page. And it comes from good info that he was pressured to do that. He still hasn't reached out to his fan base on his band page. I am all for pulling a brother or sister up when they are down... JK included. But any comments from this forums members indicating that we are not supportive of John, or somehow never really were is slightly lame itself. He opened a can of worms including the now negative light on the Gainesville community. There is a thriving scene of heads and musicians in North and Central Florida that don't need to pay the price of all the bashing and "redneck" comments that flowed from JK's rant. And the exponential snowball effect of social media has a power that has to used carefully, and effectively. Room for ego induced mental vomit should be limited to those that wear it.
strumminsix liked this
 #164663  by strumminsix
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 pm
brbadg wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:27 pm
It's clear that those of you bagging on him were never fans to begin with.
Dragging him through the mud on this is just a bit overblown.
The last couple shows I heard and liked .To each their own.
He has written another apology.I'm accepting it.
One can be a fan of their music while being disgusted with their comments.

I've been listening to John since 93. Been a fan way before DSO.

His 2nd apology was solid. But it was shitty that it took 2 attempts and public/ peer pressure.
brbadg liked this
 #164664  by shadowboxer
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:29 pm
Maybe, just maybe, Headstash sucks. I don't know what they sound like, and I bet more than half the people here who have commented have no idea what they sound like. If you find a link to a recording, please post it. But let's agree that a band that plays the Dead can suck if they have players with bad time and no sense of melody.

If John broke some unwritten rule to speak no ill of your opener, bad on him. But I'm not going to bury him over it. And don't think he was picking on Headstash to be mean. His comments were much broader, and primarily related to the club management.
brbadg liked this
 #164667  by dleonard
 Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 pm
The phantasy tour discussions on this are exactly as you would expect. That being said, I spent over an hour today reading them.
 #164704  by gr8fulbluz
 Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:49 pm
dleonard wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 pm
The phantasy tour discussions on this are exactly as you would expect. That being said, I spent over an hour today reading them.
+1
 #164715  by playingdead
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:39 am
Wrong Headstash ; )

Here's the one in question, backing David Gans at the same club, I believe.

https://www.facebook.com/headstashgnv/v ... 302255596/
strumminsix liked this
 #164717  by wisconsindead
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 am
I am a really big fan of John's but he really shot himself in the foot here. The sooner he stops responding to people in any form related to this the better. He's received an unfair amount of criticism (IMO) over the years, but there is certainly some justified criticism here. But as a public figure, you cannot go out and respond to even a small percentage of your haters. Social media warriors are going to do their part of being assholes. You can't beat them. Ignore them. At least his apology on Feb. 8th was legitimate.

I do have a hunch that he isn't the as good with people as he is with music. It seems odd he has never been invited to play with JRAD while many other have. I don't think he has ever played with Rob Eaton since leaving DSO, which seems a bit strange. He has also had a few other notable fall outs. Whatever, we've all been dickheads, some times under a spotlight and other times not. I love John's playing, original music and covers. This incident isn't changing my desire to listen to him or see him live.
 #164718  by tcsned
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:26 pm
Everyone has a bad day. It sucks when thousands of people witness your bad day. He always seemed like a decent guy to me. If it was or is a pattern then you can start to look like a colossal dickwad. It seems like steering clear of that club would be wise.
gr8fulbluz, brbadg liked this
 #164722  by rugger
 Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:08 pm
No wonder he was pissed.

john in san diego
 #164726  by flyingheelhook
 Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am
I shared the stage once with JK at a private event. For various reasons I won't go into, I think its safe to say that my performance was probably substantially worse than Headstash's . He was nice before the event, not so nice the few times I saw him since. Seems about right to me.

YMMV
 #164744  by shadowboxer
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:08 pm
Thanks for the links to the Headstash songs. I don't think they are what i would picture as an opener for Kadlecik, Jay Lane and Robin Sylvester.
 #164755  by shadowboxer
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:47 pm
And one more thing, anybody bothered by a 5 or 6 piece band playing for $75? Musicians need to stick up for each other. Don't take a gig for scraps. Get paid what you are worth, which is hopefully more than $75. Why let the club owner talk you into that kind of fee? Don't be desperate for the spotlight.