#161267  by amyjared

I finally finished Billy's book...and really enjoyed it! He sounds like one of us, he showed respect for the fans and confirmed some of my suspicions and enlightened me concerning some of the things inside the band that I suspected, but didn't have evidence to prove.

The last chapter, about his love life, wasn't totally necessary, although I did like the anecdote about him calling the radio station during a Dead Air-type show and requesting a song!

So, for those who have read it, I am curious and could use some input. He talks about how he didn't like any of the Jerry clones that they used who tried to sound like Jerry but preferred someone who brought something new into the mix. He also ends with him saying he's kind of done doing the Dead thing, and wants to play other music. He kind of talks down on keeping things going w/out Jerry. And yet he did the Fare The Well shows and now he's on tour with Dead & Co? Isn't that somewhat contradictory to what he ends the book talking about? Did he get bored? Was the money too good? Was Mayer different somehow? Thoughts?
 #161272  by strumminsix

Maybe I'll give it a go. The dude was notorious about having a temper. Did he cover off on any of that or was it rose colored memories?
 #161295  by amyjared

Give it a shot. He does kind of gloss over his temper, mentioning some fights he had with bandmates, but it's worth a read.
strumminsix liked this
 #161672  by nuthatchwinters

billy and mickey were left out of furthur. were not asked to join. billy was more than likely pissed, and maybe rightfully so. and so he didn't have kind words for john k and the band in general, directing most of his displeasure with the "fake jerry" aspect of it. just my opinion but seemed liked sour grapes. I like billy, read the book. good book. had he been asked I think he would of joined.
 #161674  by mgbills

Like so many other things...there is our idea of Grateful Dead and then there is the actual Grateful Dead.

I fall into the camp of liking my own version of the Dead, which is imbued with 37 (or so) years of memories. I'll read the book, and if I remember correctly (nefarious thing that) this is not the first time Billy has been pissy about things like this. I liked The Dead, The Other Ones, Further, DSO, and Fare Thee Well & The Mayerfull Dead for different reasons. I like to boogey, play guitar, and remember the fucking great trip along the way. None of the iterations match my memories of The Fat Man, and those memories probably weren't quite as good as I remember them.

Billy was there and earned the merit badge. I was just a fuck-up in the audience. What do I know.

I also think the Bus has left the station. More fans now than in all the years combined.
 #161677  by FrettyBoy

mgbills wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:41 pm I also think the Bus has left the station. More fans now than in all the years combined.
Boy, ain't that the truth, and MANY of them never heard the "real thing" up close and personal.

Just look at the "tribute" aspect. It seems no matter where you go, you can't flick a roach without hitting a Dead, or Jerry tribute band. Some of it, I'm convinced, is simply a good business decision on the part of some musicians knowing there is a built in, and forgiving, crowd with the Dead scene. I've stopped going to tribute shows, even my friend's, as I'm seriously worried about wearing this stuff out for myself. By the way, I'm not exempt from these comments. I've never been a full on Dead or Jerry band, but I've certainly done my share since the early 70s. I'm starting to feel exploitative of "The Phat Man".

Thankfully, Youtube has many examples of the real deal for me to bask in.
 #161680  by Jon S.

True but even putting the ubiquitous Dead tribute shows and dedicated cover bands aside, what continues to amaze me is how many "regular" bands these days have worked Dead tunes into their repertoire, coming from a combination of digging the songs and knowing there's a serious market segment for the music.

As just one example, a Baltimore friend has a funk/soul/fusion jazz band. The last gig I caught, they'd worked Eyes and Fire into their set list. These guys aren't Deadheads by any stretch. They make zero effort to "get the gear right" nor do they care if their arrangements are close or far to the Dead's. They simply, as I said, dig the songs and know that, at most of their venues, they'll be some of us who'll totally dig the effort!

I always make it a point, at such bands' gigs, in between sets, to approach the bands, thank them for the Dead, and request more as I feel that bands like these, in the long run, will do as much for keeping the flame alive as the tribute and dedicated cover bands (who, of course, are also appreciated).
FrettyBoy liked this
 #161695  by tdcrjeff

Way back in 1984 in college some friends of mine had a ska band that played a mix of originals and covers, and the played Showdown Street. Surprised the hell out of me the first time I heard it.