Talk about the recent Tours
 #144367  by RiseandFall

I can sort of understand why it is only 3 shows.
Their live support infrastructure scattered like the wind, long ago. If they use one of the huge sound/lighting companies, it would be great, but in no way afford the sonic and visual refinement that one expects from a GD show.
Much of the musical cohesion was a result of decades of playing together on a regular basis.

I can see them coming out and...rendering...several Grateful dead songs. Nothing about that is bad.
But coming out and acheiving those epiphanous moments of sheer musical magic and undefinable brilliance....I wouldn't count on it.

That said, I'm pretty warped. I just couldn't bring myself to see any incarnation of them after Jerry died. Hell....I couldn't listen to tapes for a couple of years. It was just too painful.
It must have been VERY hard on them...being the sonic pinnacle as they were, only to have to stop because an integral part of the magic went away. They spent years doing what they did, and then had to stop. That had to be a brutal and bitter pill to swallow.
Therefore I fault no one in the band for anything they ever choose to do or not do.
They have given so much to so many.
 #144413  by jkstraw

VIP Package details are up: http://www.cidentertainment.com/events/ ... -packages/

New date - from Feb 11 to the 27th.

1-Night Steal Your Face CID Experience
GA Floor or Premium Reserved Seat$519

3-Night Steal Your Face CID Experience
GA Floor or Premium Reserved Seat$1,497

3-Night Golden Road Super CID Experience (GA Pit)
$1,898

3-Night Golden Road Super CID Experience (Premium Reserved Seat)
$2,198

:shock:
 #144415  by Smolder

Well thought out and said RiseandFall. Most of us aren't close enough to understand or empathize with such a huge loss that close... It was devastating enough as just a fan. I can't imagine judging the actions of those remaining. Jerry's presence was immence.
 #144900  by TI4-1009

"For those who haven't gotten rejection letters or emails from the band and are interested in attending one of the three shows, tickets will go on sale at Ticketmaster on Saturday at 10 a.m.

The band said on its web site that fans who do not receive an email confirming they have been awarded tickets by the time the Ticketmaster sale begins still may have won but "you might want to consider online ticket sales to increase your chances."

The people handling the tickets for the band said in the Monday posting that they were only 75 percent through the mail requests."

It is expected that only about 10 percent will be filled because tickets need to be saved for the public sale through Ticketmaster on Saturday.

" "There were many, many times more order requests than anyone imagined, thousands and thousands with beautiful art," the Dead’s office said on its web site. In other words, it’s going to take a miracle to get one."
 #144901  by dleonard

I was notified yesterday that I will not be receiving tickets through mail order. I guess I will try my hand at the 5 available tickets going on sale Saturday. Anyone have any tips for these ticketmaster sales? I haven't been stressing over getting tickets to anything since I was in high school. What a mess this turned into.
 #144902  by schmidtz

I think the optimal way to score tickets would be an armada of bots created on Amazon's AWS, geographically scattered of course. It should be possible to write a batch file (or shell script if you are so inclined) which hits the page at exactly 10AM central and search for the proper DOM element (via Selenium) which allows ticket selection. At this point, you'll have roughly ten minutes to launch each instance (before tickets get released) and find which one has gotten tickets. Even better would be to have it report externally which machine has successfully gotten tickets. I guarantee this is how StubHub and other scalpers get their tickets.

Of course, the next best thing would be to locate yourself (physically) next to where the TM server is located. Without doing more research, I think it might be a good bet to remote into a machine that's located in a Chicago data center, and try to hit the site from there, hopefully beating some other requests.

Any way this shakes out, Saturday morning is going to be nerve wracking.
 #144905  by Smolder

hindsight... but I wish they had found a way to reduce the sale per envelope and increase the number of envelopes fulfilled. I know that is a logistical impossibility given the money order payment method... still... would have been nice to spread them out and limit the scalper scamming that we all know is pending.
 #146137  by TI4-1009

Coming soon to a big screen near you!

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/fare- ... fo/details
 #146140  by James-T

I was talking with a buddy last night. The joke is Trey's gained a ton of weight, dyed his hair black and his wife is "ok with it as long as he doesn't cut a finger off."

Apparently he's taking things much more seriously than his appearances with Phil and Friends (he looked like Trey).

I saw him with Phil at Vegoose in 96 just a few weeks before he got busted. He sounded like Trey as he wailed away at Dead tunes. The Dark Star was barely recognizable as something from the Dead's catelouge.

Bur seeiously i'm starting to think these shows could have some really interesting stuff going on. Word on the street is that Trey is really studying the music.

Peace,

James
 #146141  by Lephty

Yeah in 1996 there's a good chance Trey was (let's be honest here) really goddam high for that gig. I think he has changed a lot as a human being since then, and his playing style has changed along with that. In '96 he was more into the "machine gun" type of playing--these days he seems much more laid back IMO.
 #146143  by rugger

TI4-1009 wrote:Coming soon to a big screen near you!

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/fare- ... fo/details
I good initial step, but I REALLY hope they offer some sort of pay per view I can watch in the comfort and leisure of my own home. The theater thing is the only option it sounds like another potential ticket cluster f*ck.

john in san diego
 #146145  by gr8fullfred

You mean Trey at Vegoose in 2006 not 1996! I was there, I thought it was good!

Of course the String Cheese Incident was the highlight!
 #146146  by James-T

2006 LOL Yep time warp. That was my first St Stephen. It was pretty awesome, and totally hybrid. I think they did some Phish tunes.

Saw WSP on the 30th at MGM. Wow those WSP fans know how to party.

And that P&P's show. Latest music night I've ever had. I think he came on after midnight. Only in Vegas! Given he was busted with H just weeks after that show, well he could have been high. The other guitar player Phil had with him was pretty amazing too.

Peace,

James
 #146150  by gr8fullfred

What was really interesting about Las Vegas is that as we were entering the Orleans Arena, security said "you can't take those beer bottles in the venue, however maybe you want to pour it into this plastic cup, then you can take it inside. Worked for us, never ever happened like that at any other venue.
 #146153  by astroman99

If i was 17 I'd probably be going, but that train the left the station a long time ago, to all that go enjoy, and all that don't enjoy