Chat about Equipment Info
 #160902  by bdhact1
 Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 am
bdhact1 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:44 am
Here is a closer shot. It's still a work in progress.
I just retired this guitar from active duty last week. Replaced by a G&L Legacy; Which I will install a DIY Alembic Blaster and OBEL into once the warranty is expired.

The OBEL worked well for my cover Band duties. I will miss having it for the 1 year Warranty period. In the mean time I will use a DIY Alembic Blaster pedal.
 #161146  by brianb
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:10 pm
Here's the latest iteration of my Alligator inspired Strat. The idea was to retain the stock Fender look as much as possible.

It started out as USA Professional model & nearly everything has been modded or replaced. The bridge consists of a solid brass trem block that was "hard-tailed" with a piece of hard maple & two brass tremolo stoppers. The topside uses a chromed brass bridge plate, chromed brass saddles, & chromed brass mounting screws. Up on the neck a custom brass nut was added, cut for 10-46 strings.

The original pickups were replaced with Fender Custom Shop '69s and rewired to use a single tone pot. The volume pot, tone pot, & 5-way switch were upgraded to CTS / CRL components.

The final mod was the Alembic Blaster install. I didn't care for the look of the jack plate replacement kit from Alembic or the idea of putting the battery under the pickguard, so it was disassembled for the circuit. Step 1 was routing a battery compartment in the back of the body. Step 2 was carving out a bit of body material in the cavity so the stereo jack would fit with the original Fender jack plate. Step 4 was to de-solder the screwdriver adjustable gain pot from the Blaster circuit board. Step 5 was to add a pickguard mounted pot at the Fender 2nd tone pot location & wire it to Blaster circuit board. Step 6 was to mount the Blaster circuit / switch to the pickguard.

The Blaster is on in the down position to help prevent switching it off accidentally, plus the circuit needed to use the room between the 2 pots. The Blaster gain is now easily adjustable via the 2nd tone knob.

With all of the brass, new pickups, & Blaster this guitar sounds great & I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now on to the next project!

tntawney liked this
 #161147  by Gr8fulCadi
 Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 pm
^^^ Very clever with the stratoblaster install. Dig the idea of the tone knob for the gain. I may have to adopt some of those ideas for my strat 8) . I have a blaster installed the regular way in an American natural ash strat with cs69’s.
brianb liked this
 #161791  by FrederickBarron
 Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:44 pm
brianb wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:10 pm
The Blaster is on in the down position to help prevent switching it off accidentally, plus the circuit needed to use the room between the 2 pots. The Blaster gain is now easily adjustable via the 2nd tone knob.
Why didn't I think of it earlier? Thanks for the tip. What I was doing wrong was that I didn't put the Blaster in the down position while modding my guitar. It gets switched off while playing. Starting re-modding now. Will post image(s) when done.
brianb liked this