Chat about Equipment Info
 #164739  by 19deadhead65
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 am
I have the opportunity to buy a QSC 1500 (or something like that) power amp, (recommended to me but John K.) but I don't know how to use it. I would use it with my deluxe reverb. Could someone take me through I would use it with my amp and jbls? And how did Jerry use his Mac? Thanks
 #164745  by tntawney
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:23 pm
Well, are you using an external cab and the deluxe reverb as a head? If so, how many speakers are you using and how they are wired. Basically, you need to know how many ohms the speaker/speakers are for the correct wiring into the power amp. You will also need a preamp out mod to plug the power amp into. That power amp is pretty big. Make sure you don't blow your speakers.!!

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?t=6764
 #164762  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:26 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm
I have a couple question, if JK recommended it, why have you not asked him how to use it? If you have, what was his response?

~waldo
+1 That was my first thought also. :D
strumminsix liked this
 #164771  by TI4-1009
 Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:28 am
To start with the basics- your Deluxe amp has a preamp, power amp and speaker. The preamp does most of the tone shaping, the power amp takes the preamp signal and makes it louder. Sounds like you want to take the Deluxe power amp out of your chain and replace it with the "QSC". That would require some modifications to the internal wiring of your Fender to take the signal from the preamp, send it to your new power amp, then back to the speaker (bypassing the Fender power amp section). From the "tone" :-) of your question it sounds like you're not experienced with dealing with the lethal voltages in there, so it's a job for a qualified tech!
brbadg liked this
 #164773  by Searing75
 Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:55 pm
What is it you are hoping to accomplish exactly? By using the QSC?
 #164774  by waldo041
 Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:37 am

No QSC in Jerry's rig and he also is not using a clean boost or drive in front of the twins like JK does with the H&K preamp he uses. When he does not use that I believe he stated that he used an vintage EH LPB to push it. He may use an Earth Drive now, but even Brad knows it is not the route to take because you lose ALL your clean headroom at that first stage!

~waldo
strumminsix, Gr8fulCadi, milobender and 1 others liked this
 #164777  by 19deadhead65
 Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:05 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm
I have a couple question, if JK recommended it, why have you not asked him how to use it? If you have, what was his response?

I did ask him, but so far, no response. I messaged him via Facebook messenger.
 #164796  by MattMan
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 am
Hey Waldo, in this previous pic of the MC2300 you just posted, I see that each speaker is directly connected to a 1 ohm downward impedance mismatch. Is that a 1 ohm tap? I always thought the speakers were parallel loading from the 4ohm tap. Interesting! Might help explain (along with the Mac sentry mod and the Twin mod) how Jerry got such a killer tone that's quite apparent when the envelope was on (e.g., 87-88 Estimated or Fire--there is no overdrive or distortion pedal with the mutron, yet the tone is slightly gritty--classic Jer tone!!!!!).
 #164797  by waldo041
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:18 am
MattMan wrote:
Hey Waldo, in this previous pic of the MC2300 you just posted, I see that each speaker is directly connected to a 1 ohm downward impedance mismatch. Is that a 1 ohm tap? I always thought the speakers were parallel loading from the 4ohm tap. Interesting! Might help explain (along with the Mac sentry mod and the Twin mod) how Jerry got such a killer tone that's quite apparent when the envelope was on (e.g., 87-88 Estimated or Fire--there is no overdrive or distortion pedal with the mutron, yet the tone is slightly gritty--classic Jer tone!!!!!).

That actual WoS 2300 amp is not Jerry's and is only used as an example. Look at the parish photo, it shows you the Tap Jerry is seen using with 3 120's. Going lower as you have observed will actually lighten the load on the amp and make it quieter.

~waldo
 #164807  by MattMan
 Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:16 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:18 am
MattMan wrote:

That actual WoS 2300 amp is not Jerry's and is only used as an example. Look at the parish photo, it shows you the Tap Jerry is seen using with 3 120's. Going lower as you have observed will actually lighten the load on the amp and make it quieter.

~waldo
Pic is not clear. Is that the 4 ohm lug? I had it backwards. Jerry is upward mismatch to "stress" the Poweramp. So 3 x 8 ohm speakers wired parralel wired gets you 2.7 ohms from the speakers into the 4 ohm lug. That's right. I got 2 x 8 ohm speakers into the 8 ohm lug on my Mac.