Chat about Equipment Info
 #162241  by Gr8fulPickr

Hi all. I just got a Phiga Tiger. Seems like the pickup closest to the neck got a little jostled and isn't sitting flush. Is that a big deal?

Also, how high do you guys recommend setting the height for each of the pickups?

Unfortunately, my amp is at the shop so I haven't had a chance to plug it in to see how it sounds. Should have the amp this weekend.

Lastly, this Tiger does not have the OBEL and I would also like to rewire it. Can you point me to where I might be able to acquire the parts to do this work?

#162250  by lovetoboogie

Pickup height...

Measured with the high and low E string depressed at the last fret respectively. Measure from top of pickup polepiece to bottom edge of string...

A 3 pickups:

Low E(bass) 3/32"
High E(treble) 1/16"
 #162252  by Gr8fulPickr

lovetoboogie wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:37 pm Pickup height...

Measured with the high and low E string depressed at the last fret respectively. Measure from top of pickup polepiece to bottom edge of string...

A 3 pickups:

Low E(bass) 3/32"
High E(treble) 1/16"
Thanks so much! Any advice on tracking down the components for OBEL and updating the electronics?
 #162255  by Jon S.

>> Hi all. I just got a Phiga Tiger. Seems like the pickup closest to the neck got a little jostled and isn't sitting flush. Is that a big deal?

You can, if you wish, push gently on the high side of the PUP to level it out. It may stay level, or it may bounce back to the original lopsided position, but either way, if you're gentle, you won't harm the pickup. (This from experience - I've had several guitars that needed this treatment, one of which needs it every new time I play it - never harmed a one.)

>> Also, how high do you guys recommend setting the height for each of the pickups?

You already got recommendations here for the PUP heights. I'd add only that you personally may or may not prefer the same heights that others do. This is true for many reasons, including simple personal preferences and differences in your touch ("hands") and/or the remainder of your rig from others'. So I'll suggest using your "guide musician" or forum pals' recommendations as your baseline, then experiment with different heights and choose your ultimate outcomes based on what you think sounds best.
Gr8fulPickr liked this
 #162256  by augustwest1

"Hi all. I just got a Phiga Tiger. Seems like the pickup closest to the neck got a little jostled and isn't sitting flush. Is that a big deal?"

Try rotating the springs around to see if you can settle on a place where the pickup sits flat -- you'll have to remove the strings and pup ring to do that so you may want to wait until it's time to put on fresh strings. If that doesn't work, you can also try shorting the springs themselves -- if they are under too much tension, it's much more likely that it will be directed to one side of the pickup or the other. When you remove the ring, look to see if the entire spring is smashed down and twisting from one side to the other. If so, there's too much there. If the spring is under tension, but there is still space between at least some of the coils, I'd stick with option A.
Last edited by augustwest1 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #162258  by lovetoboogie

Gr8fulPickr wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:43 am

A 3 pickups:

Low E(bass) 3/32"
High E(treble) 1/16"
Thanks so much! Any advice on tracking down the components for OBEL and updating the electronics?

Yes...

You will need 2 of these:
https://tubedepot.com/products/switchcr ... AkQAvD_BwE

And 1 of these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... CUkQgTYIdw

Additionally...in response to pickup height. Garcia ran his pickups high and close to the strings. Particularly with the Dimarzios you want to use that height adjustment technique. That will give you Garcia-like texture and bite as well as a uniform balance across the 3 pickups so you will hear the flavor difference as opposed to a volume difference.
 #162263  by TI4-1009

There's step-by-step instructions in this thread. If your Phiga came with a buffer then you only need to do the OBEL part. I think this one is for a strat style guitar, but the OBEL is the same- you're just tapping into the signal chain in the cavity and giving it the (switchable) option to go out and back to the loop. One switch, one TRS jack and a few inches of wire. Of course you'll also need a second cable and a junction box, or a "Y" cable.

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... EL#p160788

It's been covered many times here, search is your friend, just be patient. Have fun!
 #162266  by Gr8fulPickr

TI4-1009 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:42 am There's step-by-step instructions in this thread. If your Phiga came with a buffer then you only need to do the OBEL part. I think this one is for a strat style guitar, but the OBEL is the same- you're just tapping into the signal chain in the cavity and giving it the (switchable) option to go out and back to the loop. One switch, one TRS jack and a few inches of wire. Of course you'll also need a second cable and a junction box, or a "Y" cable.

https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... EL#p160788

It's been covered many times here, search is your friend, just be patient. Have fun!
Thanks. I have done searches before on this topic, but seems that many of the people or products mentioned in those threads are no longer offered or have been unresponsive to my inquiries. I live in South America right now, so I'm going to have to have everything ready for a tech to tackle this.

I couldn't get much info on what's inside my Phiga since I purchased from a shop where the original owner had traded it. I do know there was no OBEL and the Phiga is from 2005 so could probably do with a rewiring anyway.

I haven't had a chance to look inside yet, but will post some pics when I do.
 #162312  by Gr8fulPickr

lovetoboogie wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:48 am
Gr8fulPickr wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:43 am

A 3 pickups:

Low E(bass) 3/32"
High E(treble) 1/16"

Yes...

You will need 2 of these:
https://tubedepot.com/products/switchcr ... AkQAvD_BwE

And 1 of these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... CUkQgTYIdw

Additionally...in response to pickup height. Garcia ran his pickups high and close to the strings. Particularly with the Dimarzios you want to use that height adjustment technique. That will give you Garcia-like texture and bite as well as a uniform balance across the 3 pickups so you will hear the flavor difference as opposed to a volume difference.
I had everything set up and it mostly sounds great. One issue... the high E string is noticeably quieter than the other strings. I measured and it is consistently about 5 dB's quieter than the other strings.

Is this normal? If not, any recommended remedies?