Chat about Equipment Info
 #160776  by 19deadhead65
 Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:39 am
Hi, I'm in need of some advice on how to get my SF Fender DR from 78 to sound a lil more "Jerry". I know he used a twin but I don't have the dough or the muscular strength to get a twin. I can get a decent sound with high treble but not great, are there any pedals I should get for like a mids boost?
 #160779  by Bigfoot Co.
 Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:30 pm
I have the same amp, a 1976. I don't think what you are looking for will come from a pedal. Generally speaking, the desired result here is to accentuate the big fender clean sound. You want to increase the headroom of that amp, and the ingredients to do so can be chosen with JG tone in mind.

I'd say the single biggest move you can make is to get a JBL K120 or a D120. There are also tube considerations, but I'd say that is minutia compared to the speaker.

What kind of guitar are you playing? There are also instrument side mods that can make a big difference (waldo buffer, etc.).

I think a guitar with correct scale length, middle single coil PU with a buffer, and a JBL in that amp will get you in a more than decent JG place. As usual, just one guy's opinion.
MattMan liked this
 #161715  by gdrfk1990
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:12 am
Maybe blackface the preamp circuit not sure what that requires but it's a standard mod you can google. What I did to my DRRI is put NOS JAN6l6's in it (supposedly they can go right in with no Transformer upgrade so far so good about a year in) I put a JBL k120, and a solid state rectifier.. Sounds fantastic next I am going to upgrade the power transformer and the output transformer and see if I can get an even cleaner sound with more headroom
 #161722  by waldo041
 Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 pm
gdrfk1990 wrote:
Maybe blackface the preamp circuit not sure what that requires but it's a standard mod you can google. What I did to my DRRI is put NOS JAN6l6's in it (supposedly they can go right in with no Transformer upgrade so far so good about a year in) I put a JBL k120, and a solid state rectifier.. Sounds fantastic next I am going to upgrade the power transformer and the output transformer and see if I can get an even cleaner sound with more headroom
Don't Forget to also upgrade the choke if you do go as far as you are. No sense in going almost the whole way there! :cool:

~waldo
 #161753  by strumminsix
 Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:19 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 pm
gdrfk1990 wrote:
Don't Forget to also upgrade the choke if you do go as far as you are. No sense in going almost the whole way there! :cool:

~waldo
+1 My #1 amp is now a Dr Z Maz 8 (8 watt single-ended EL84, not Jerry but delicious amp) and it's loud and clean yet so much feel and weights as much as a typical DR if not more. When I look at the PT, OT and choke they are the same size as 40W amps. My research and ears say this is the key difference between it and other low wattage amps that are buzzy lifeless bedroom amps. This things sings on stage and rehearsals.
tcsned liked this