Chat about Equipment Info
 #11601  by ssrythm

I have now acquired the very neat-O Ibanez AD-230 to join my UE400 and my Boogie. I put the delay unit between my sterio chorus out on the UE 400 and the fx return on the boogie. Sounds cool so far, but if there are any folks out there who have played with multiple ways to set these two pieces up without the IVP and figured something special out, please share your wisdom. Thanks, E

#11605  by strumminsix

What Boogie are you using?

I had a UE400.

I ran it like so, IIRC:
Guitar>tuner>UE(COMP, DIST)>Amp In>Loop Send>UE(PHAS, CHOR)>Loop Rtn

If I still had it and a 230 I'd run it similarly but put the AD230 before the Loop Rtn

#11609  by ssrythm

Thats how I've set it up, and it sounds schweet! I have a DC 5. Been thinking about a lonestar. You have a lonestar, right? What do you think about it?

#11613  by strumminsix

I've never played a DC5 but heard good things about them.

I love my Lonestar it is a great amp and a perfect gigging machine!

Enough headroom to soar over 2 drummers, keys, another guitar, and a bassist but sounds so sweet playing at low levels while I rehearse!!!

The drive channel is as tasty as you can get for 6L6s and the preamp overdrive is remarkable musical!

Add in tube rectification and Tweed power (built in variac) and I'm in heaven with the tone!

#11629  by ssrythm

For years I've tried all sorts of digital fx to be able to really get wierd in spacy moments. The problem has always been being able to move from a melodic song into a spacy jam into a deep, dark space and back whilst keeping a good tone. This set-up is the trick. I don't exactly know how to explain what's going on with the 230, but with a slight turn of three knobs, I can get real freaky while maintaining tone. I just wish I had a foot controller that would turn those knobs. Now I know (sort of) why Bobby would go and adjust his gear by hand. The two units together are what I've been searching for. Now I just need to figure out how to maximize it.

#11637  by strumminsix

A couple things to consider:
#1 bobby had a custom pedal to control some devices which I assume were part of his rack unit
#2 jerry had eq's after many of his effects to control tone

FWIW, that is a big reason why I keep my POD XT Live. I can eq eqch patch where I use a lot of FX so I keep my tone.