Chat about Equipment Info
 #154168  by Seriesnuns

I am wondering how the guys who run this setup run their delays and other effects that aren't included in the OBEL.

I recently picked up this combo, before I had a Mesa Mark iii with an effects loop that I had a delays, vibe pedal, tremolo.

I tried running the loop in between the pre and power amp, but I had to adjust the level way down on the preamp to prevent my delay from clipping.

Do you guys run everything in front, or have one of those dumblenator boxes?
 #154169  by hippieguy1954

Seriesnuns wrote:I am wondering how the guys who run this setup run their delays and other effects that aren't included in the OBEL.

I recently picked up this combo, before I had a Mesa Mark iii with an effects loop that I had a delays, vibe pedal, tremolo.

I tried running the loop in between the pre and power amp, but I had to adjust the level way down on the preamp to prevent my delay from clipping.

Do you guys run everything in front, or have one of those dumblenator boxes?
All the effects are in the OBEL.

This should help: forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=12604
Last edited by hippieguy1954 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #154171  by hippieguy1954

Searing75 wrote:I run my Earth Drive and Analog Delay right in front of my SMS preamp, outside of my OBEL.
Some do this and there are other variations as well, but Jerry ran all his effects thru the OBEL. That's what I do and it works like a charm!
 #154172  by strumminsix

Another way to put it: many modern players place overdrives and envelopes in front of the preamp and modulations and delays after the preamp or in the FX loop.

Purist Jerry players put it all before the preamp and in the OBEL loop.

Honestly, I've played around with both ways and to my ears the difference is either absent or minimal in a band context. In an isolated track context, it's just very slightly different not hearing better or worse.
 #154174  by Seriesnuns

I rerouted my effects loop last night to the end of my chain. I am also not running an OBEl. But I do have a Sarno black box in the very front that I am in love with.

I like it better at the end of the chain. The signal is too hot coming out of the preamp before. I need to adjust the delays levels a bit but I'm happy.

I have a true bypass looper for my effects so it keeps down the unwanted noise until I want it.