Chat about Equipment Info
 #152497  by drkstrcrashes

I see that at Bonaroo Mayer is using Victoria reverb/vibrato units! Those are not only great reproductions of the Fender stand alone reverb units, but they have the Fender "brown" vibrato or what they used to call "Harmonic Vibrato" I think. Sounds like a uni-vibe. I have picked up a 20 watt PRS amp that came with a mind boggling private stock guitar and It's just o.k. The overdrive channel reminds me of a Boogie. The clean channel is good but the reverb sucks. The reverb pan is less than half the size of a Fender. I'll never sell my '69 and '70 Twins. That's when CBS went back to the true ab763 circuit. They are the very best sounding CLEAN amps that I've ever played. bla, bla, bla woof woof.
 #152562  by pablomago

I have to admit that I was no Meyer fan and was very skeptical. But, damn! John-Boy is playing is ass off. And I think he's only going to get better as the songs become second nature and he gets more comfortable with them.

I'm looking forward to the Boulder show.
 #152567  by HeadSpace

caspersvapors wrote:Im really curious to know what kind of speakers hes using in those cabs
I saw a post somewhere saying they were Vintage 30s. Unsure how reliable the source.
 #152642  by Feedback

From what I have read, John is using Celestion Heritage 1265s and the Golds, definitely not V30s. I, too, was frankly, never impressed with him through his pop stuff and when I saw him as part of The Clapton Crossroads tribute, I thought he was out gunned by almost everyone else there. Just not all that interesting. However, he is killing it with the Dead. A bit verbose at times, he will reel that in eventually, but easily the best I have heard attempt this since Jerry. He is a very studied and intelligent fellow.
 #152645  by caspersvapors

thats definitely what he used for his solo rig in the Alessandro cabs, these are different cabs which could be different speakers. Or the same, who knows?
 #152659  by lestera34

caspersvapors wrote:thats definitely what he used for his solo rig in the Alessandro cabs, these are different cabs which could be different speakers. Or the same, who knows?
His Alessandro cabs had G12-65s, Golds, and Celestion Neos at one point (around 2010).

I personally doubt the G12-65s for the current tour. I actually could kinda buy the Vintage 30s being the current choice for speakers. He gets a good clean and then it gets creamy when it needs too, but not in a dark way.