Chat about Equipment Info
 #129667  by Sparechaynge

I'm trying to get a small recording rig together, and today I found a DOD series II 15 band graphic EQ and a Numark DM-1150 A in a pawnshop. They guy said I could bring them back if they don't work. I know those are both pretty old, but is there any chance they might be useful for home recording? It's mostly just me and some friends. The only real reason I'm even considering these is because of an ongoing interest in old weird stuff.
Last edited by Sparechaynge on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #129677  by NorthboundRain

That Numark looks more like a DJ style mixer than a recording one and graphic EQ's aren't essential to the recording process. If you're just into "old weird stuff" and the price is right then you might enjoy adding them to your collection. If you're attempting to assemble a functional home or mobile studio that you can create simple demos or more with I'd recommend a different approach.

What do you already have? What are you trying to do?
 #129688  by mikelawson

That's not a home recording rig. :)

You're best off getting a simple USB stereo or greater input recording device like an Avid MBox, or PreSonus device, etc. and a copy of a DAW app like Pro Tools, Studio One, Cubase, GarageBand (if you're a Mac), etc.

If you're brand new to recording, and go the Pro Tools route, check out this new book, which I compiled and edited from the late Roger Nichols' teachings, it just came out and its perfect for where you are. http://www.amazon.com/The-Roger-Nichols ... 0739095056
Sparechaynge wrote:I'm trying to get a small recording rig together, and today I found a DOD series II 15 band graphic EQ and a Numark DM-1150 A in a pawnshop. They guy said I could bring them back if they don't work. I know those are both pretty old, but is there any chance they might be useful for home recording? It's mostly just me and some friends. The only real reason I'm even considering these is because of an ongoing interest in old weird stuff.
 #129692  by Sparechaynge

Perhaps I should give some background. I have protools (but no interface - working on it). I record some local shows about twice a month, and I'm looking for something to help with that.

Now that I have the correct cables to run both my external hard drive and an interface once I get one, I would really like to get a small rig together. I had borrowed a friend's interface, but he moved so I am expediting a search for my own.

I thought the Numark looked suspiciously DJ-ish, but that it wouldn't hurt to ask for a second opinion.

Putting some more thought into it, I probably don't need the EQ right now.
 #129696  by mikelawson

Sounds like what you really need is just an audio interface with as many inputs/mike pres as you can get. I don't think I'd waste money on an EQ or mixer. All of that can be done in Pro Tools "in the box" so to speak. If you get a MBox mini, for instance, you can either take a stereo feed from a mixer at a live show to record, or put up two room microphones and capture stereo recordings. I guess it depends on how mobile you want to be, and how much you want to spend. I use a few different audio devices from PreSonus and Avid for different things. My home studio has three Firestudio audio devices running daisy-chained together to give me up to 30 total inputs so I can record a full band, but I've got an AudioBox from PreSonus and a MBox Mini for more portable recording needs where I don't need more than two inputs.
 #129738  by tcsned

Are you using Mac or PC? RME makes some nice interfaces, MOTU makes some that are more reasonably priced. If you're a Mac guy, you can't go wrong with Metric Halo.
 #129743  by Sparechaynge

I have a Mac. Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion as to what interface I should look into? I had been using 2 borrowed presonus fire studios (8 inputs each) daisy chained together. Seemed ok to me, price is a little steep though. :roll:
 #129744  by mikelawson

Sparechaynge wrote:I have a Mac. Do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion as to what interface I should look into? I had been using 2 borrowed presonus fire studios (8 inputs each) daisy chained together. Seemed ok to me, price is a little steep though. :roll:
How many inputs do you want/need?
 #129750  by Sparechaynge

I really liked having 16 at my disposal, but I think I really only need 8 or so.
 #129754  by mikelawson

Sparechaynge wrote:I really liked having 16 at my disposal, but I think I really only need 8 or so.
There are a few things to consider when deciding this:

1. Number of channels a device has vs how/if it is expandable
2. Interface format: USB vd FireWire, or Thunderbolt, which right now is really just on high-end stuff. FireWire is, like it or not (and I don't), being phased out. Still, you can have many years of service left in your Mac and its FireWire ports, so it might not be an issue.
3. Cost
4. Compatibility with your OS

I use the PreSonus Firestudio Projects because the mic pres sound good, I can daisy chain them to get up to four of them connected allowing for up to 32 inputs with the device. The PreSonus 1818 is USB and it expands to eight more channels if you add a light pipe mic pre setup. Personally, I think the PreSonus gear is some of the best value vs quality, and they give great support when needed.

At the risk of a shameless plug here, you could probably get a lot of info to help you in that new book I just help write/publish, The Roger Nichols Recording Method. Roger did all the Steely Dan albums and much more. He was a genius, rest his soul.