Chat about Equipment Info
 #127948  by Counterstriker

I was in the market for an SMS with no jerry mods for my band who is straying away from doing covers and mainly doing our own thing. I was curious to the big tone difference in the SMS with and without the jerry mods, I found someone who is willing to trade my old jerry strat for an SMS with the mods done to it, I just dont want to sound like im aping the garcia tone in our origina music!

Thanks!
 #127949  by tcsned

It's really just a badass Fender Twin preamp. If you're going for the Jerry sound it'll get you there but if not then you can shape it anyway you want (unless you use a Mac, JBLs, and a heavy guitar with a tapped DiMarzio in the middle position). I play all kids of stuff through mine, even with the Mac MC2100. We do some original stuff that's not all that Dead sounding, Allmans tunes, Django, Tom Petty, Yes, I'll even play some Sabbath or AC/DC when I get a wild hair. With the right guitar and right effects you can go anywhere. If you've already got one with the Jerry mods I'd keep it. If you think you want to go back to that sound I'd get one - they're good mods for a lot of things.
 #127954  by HeadSpace

Totally agree with the above. Fear not. Just twist the tone knobs and Jerry goes back in his box, but can still be summoned at will. Also don't forget bright/dark switch. It's an extremely versatile preamp, Jerry mods or not.
 #127986  by Bear62

I have the SMS w/ Jerry Mods and it simply is a beautiful and versatile preamp. It sounds great w/ a variety of my guitars from Gretsch White Falcon, Tele Thin Line, Les Paul, ASAT... The critical component that locks me into a "Jerry" tone is when I use my Resurrection Tiger w/ Dimarzios and BUFFER. Other wise, it is a great rig for jazz blues, country and Rock! I use a MV-962 into 2x12 w/ Weber NEOs. Sometimes it is fun to plug my SMS into the Effects Return of my Fender Prosonic and get that great tube power amp sound. my $.02.

peace

G
Last edited by Bear62 on Wed May 15, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #128178  by JonnyBoy

I don't think a lot of the mods were done to change the tone per say, they helped cut out noise, tighten up the amps response etc.... All in all it's upgrades worth making to have a better and tighter amp for any style. You plug a tele, a strat, les Paul you get a completely different guitar tone. You plug in a Jerry guitar, well there's Jerry with his impeccable tight focused tone. Hell it makes a great bass preamp too. JG mods are not gonna hinder getting your own brand of tone or make you sound like Jerry if you are trying not to. You'll just have an awesome, quiet, reliable, durable, tight and responsive twin preamp to start shaping your tone. The pickups, guitar, speakers, power amp, and pedals will respond awesome through the SMS JG circuit. Good luck CS!!