Chat about Equipment Info
 #124583  by Winterland

at 17 sec in to the song you can see him using a wah or some envelope filter with a foot pedal? You an see his foot moving it. I remember seeing the band in the early 80's and I thought it was Brent. Love that mushy gooney bird vibe!
 #124586  by playingdead

John Cutler had modded a phaser around that era so its sweep (depth) could be controlled by an expression pedal instead of constantly cycling back and forth. Great sound. You can accomplish this on the AxeFX easily enough. Very cool little mod.
 #124609  by playingdead

Nobody seems to know for sure which phaser he modified, but you can reach John through CAE and he may give you some details, if he remembers -- which you can share with all of us :shock:

http://www.caesound.com
 #124624  by tigerstrat

mkaufman wrote:I guess you need to consider the year. When would the mod have been made? About the same time they started playing Shakedown? If so, that pre-dates the '9'-series effects.
If definitely an Ibanez, probably a PT-900 or PT-707...
 #124640  by tigger

There was an early Ibanez phaser that was built into a wah shell, but it didn't do a manual sweep (maybe unless it was modded).
 #124641  by tigerstrat

Why would any effect be put into a wah shell if it wasn't going to be pedal-swept?
 #124645  by tigger

tigerstrat wrote:Why would any effect be put into a wah shell if it wasn't going to be pedal-swept?
The pedal acted as a speed control, like a Rotovibe. It didn't do a manual phase shift.
There were a few similar pedals that had a switch that let it do both, but not one that Ibanez made AFAIK.
 #124646  by mkaufman

There's a pic from Day on the Green (Oct '76) which looks like an orange MXR phaser in front of Weir's amp.

In the early 80's, Weir used the Ibanez UE400 which had phaser. Did he use that phaser? I don't know.

In '78, he had the UE700 which also had a phaser. Again, I don't know if he used that phaser.

Other than that, I'm not sure what he used.

mk