Chat about Equipment Info
 #123871  by Winterland

What is the diffrence here? If I used an MC 50 can I run a 2x12 with 16 ohm Jbl's or do I need a more powerful amp?

What does the diffrence in the ohms do to the sound?
 #123875  by Smolder

power generation (watts) and speaker load (ohm) are not really related. A McIntosh will typically have the ability to push a 4, 8, or 16 ohm load... and 50 watts (really closer to 65-70 if healthy) will always be as loud as 50 watts.

If your two jbl's are 16 ohm, you would wire them in parallel and have an 8 ohm total load.

If you put a 16 ohm load into the 8 ohm connection, you will lose some volume as well as head room, but that's not what I read you asking.
 #123876  by Winterland

So running an MC 50 to a 2x12 JBL cabinet is not going to damage the amp.
That is my only concern. I thought that the MC 50 would have to really push to drive the speakers.
 #123877  by Smolder

Winterland wrote:So running an MC 50 to a 2x12 JBL cabinet is not going to damage the amp.
That is my only concern. I thought that the MC 50 would have to really push to drive the speakers.
Not if you hook it up to the right load terminals. I have one... I use it with a 2x12, a 1x12, and a 1x15... all good. Just match the load to the correct terminal on the amp.

An MC50 with a jbl or two should be fairly loud, particularly in a small room.
 #123879  by Winterland

Got it.Thanks for the input. We only play smallish bars(50-100). I also have an MC 2100 but its way too powerful. I use it for larger rooms or with a bigger band.
 #123880  by ugly rumor

Actually you are harder on the amp with a lighter load. A lot of people will carry a 4 ohm load, and even a 2 ohm load. That makes the amp run hotter, and shortens the life of the amp. I never run less than an 8 ohm load. That said, you do lose volume with a heavier load, but your amp is not pushing harder, just getting less response.