Chat about Equipment Info
 #117513  by Rusty the Scoob

Counterstriker wrote:I don't want to bash Vince or anything (RIP) because I'm sure he was a great guy, but what was jerry thinking when they picked him? I heard an estimated prophet from 1991 and Jerry is going in the end solo and I hear vince come in with this horrible sounding trumpet patch COMPLETELY over powering Jerry.. I wonder what Rob Barraco (sp?) was doing at the time, he would have been great match for them.

My friend from Retro Linear is working on Robs Fender Rhodes which was actually Brent's that he recorded and gigged live with.. I'll try to get some pictures if he lets me!
Vince actually didn't get to pick his MIDI patches, I think... I believe it was Bob Bralove (I think) who was literally sitting behind Vince on stage, choosing his patches for him, with little input from Vince. Now why they thought this system was a good idea is beyond me. I think somebody in the organization thought MIDI was the future and by god they were going to use it no matter how awful it sounded.
 #117543  by Counterstriker

That's a weird system they had going on there :D now that i know that, i wonder if they allowed him to pick his own patches, or Jerry let him play b-3 (I recall reading he didn't want a B-3 after brent) if it would have been better, I'm sure it did. I've heard many recordings where jerry is just getting down on a solo and all the sudden I hear this cheesy midi keyboard sound coming tearing through completely ruining the sound of the jam.. He didn't understand the whole jamming idea I don't feel like :/ But I'm done talking smack on him because it might not even be his fault, RIP Vince :smile:
 #117545  by Yankee Tim

Ugh, so... how about those Yanks? :D

Thanks for those pics, Tenn Jedi. The arial shot shows drawbar setting which is one of the things I hoped this thread would produce. Of course, no idea what he's playing but, if you duplicate the positions, it would be right for some song or another. :lol:

Working on the new cover today. Will post pics when complete. Looking for some red and blue LED strips I can wire into the on light to illumate the inside of the console. Can find 12V stuff everywhere. 120V, not so much.

Contempating a chop and moving all stuff upstairs and making the main amp remote. Anyone took this on? On an interesing note, Keith Emerson played a L100 series Hammond, which was modded. Gleening info from web on that.
 #117551  by Mr.Burns

Counterstriker wrote:I don't want to bash Vince or anything (RIP) because I'm sure he was a great guy, but what was jerry thinking when they picked him? I heard an estimated prophet from 1991 and Jerry is going in the end solo and I hear vince come in with this horrible sounding trumpet patch COMPLETELY over powering Jerry.. I wonder what Rob Barraco (sp?) was doing at the time, he would have been great match for them.

My friend from Retro Linear is working on Robs Fender Rhodes which was actually Brent's that he recorded and gigged live with.. I'll try to get some pictures if he lets me!
Rob Barraco was busy with The Cosby Show... :D
 #117561  by tigger

Counterstriker wrote:That's a weird system they had going on there :D now that i know that, i wonder if they allowed him to pick his own patches, or Jerry let him play b-3 (I recall reading he didn't want a B-3 after brent) if it would have been better, I'm sure it did. I've heard many recordings where jerry is just getting down on a solo and all the sudden I hear this cheesy midi keyboard sound coming tearing through completely ruining the sound of the jam.. He didn't understand the whole jamming idea I don't feel like :/ But I'm done talking smack on him because it might not even be his fault, RIP Vince :smile:

Can't find the source but I seem to recall reading that:
-The road crew hated dealing with the B-3, and they said no more after Brent died
-Bob Bralove said "here are the patches you're going to use" and that was all Vince had to work with
 #117583  by Stone

tigger wrote:
Counterstriker wrote:That's a weird system they had going on there :D now that i know that, i wonder if they allowed him to pick his own patches, or Jerry let him play b-3 (I recall reading he didn't want a B-3 after brent) if it would have been better, I'm sure it did. I've heard many recordings where jerry is just getting down on a solo and all the sudden I hear this cheesy midi keyboard sound coming tearing through completely ruining the sound of the jam.. He didn't understand the whole jamming idea I don't feel like :/ But I'm done talking smack on him because it might not even be his fault, RIP Vince :smile:

-The road crew hated dealing with the B-3, and they said no more after Brent died
-Bob Bralove said "here are the patches you're going to use" and that was all Vince had to work with

This is in line with what Vince said to me in 02'

I feel that if the boys were still together we would be talking about how sick vince is and that those first 10 years were rough...but all we got for the first 5 years of roughness. I also feel that in retospect Vince was set up to fail at the time to some degree. Tough job

I have wondered was Brents B3 also played by Pig ?

And I think Jerry would be very happy to hear Jeff and John playing in Furthur. :wink:
 #117985  by zambiland

Stone wrote:
tigger wrote:

This is in line with what Vince said to me in 02'

I feel that if the boys were still together we would be talking about how sick vince is and that those first 10 years were rough...but all we got for the first 5 years of roughness. I also feel that in retospect Vince was set up to fail at the time to some degree. Tough job

I have wondered was Brents B3 also played by Pig ?

And I think Jerry would be very happy to hear Jeff and John playing in Furthur. :wink:
I would probably agree. I felt like the boys kind of lamed out when Brent died. They just chose Vince by default because he could sing the harmony parts. My preference would have been to hear a couple tours with no keys. It would have forced Bob, Phil and Jerry to really listen again.
 #117989  by TRG

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Wow, sure enough! I'm surprised they played a high-school hockey rink that late in their careers, but I guess it was a last-minute booking to fill a hole in the schedule. Must have been awesome to be there!
I was thinking the same thing....that it couldn't have been Billerica, MA. Good stuff! Maybe that was their High School tour era...as I think they played a High School up in Alaska around that time :lol:
 #118000  by tigerstrat

spam-bombing this thread with a quick unclassified ad!

Cats Under The Stars in Portland Oregon is seeking keyboardists, for either short- or long-term. We play roughly 90% JGB/10% GD, gigging 1-3 times a month, usually in Portland. Interested parties should contact us at trulyfunwork*at*gmail.

please excuse my interruption and carry on...
 #118153  by zambiland

TRG wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:Wow, sure enough! I'm surprised they played a high-school hockey rink that late in their careers, but I guess it was a last-minute booking to fill a hole in the schedule. Must have been awesome to be there!
I was thinking the same thing....that it couldn't have been Billerica, MA. Good stuff! Maybe that was their High School tour era...as I think they played a High School up in Alaska around that time :lol:
I think calling it a hockey rink is generous. It was more like a Quonset hut with some ice in it. The stage was probably not much more than 3' high. 7 months before that I saw them at the Boston Music Hall, so it didn't seem all that out of the ordinary to see them in smaller venues.
 #118786  by Yankee Tim

Hey now. I just scored a 1955 M3 this weekend. Hope our keyboardist will be happy. :smile:

Plays well. The bass pedals were not in tune. Found a broken wire on the tone wheel assembly and soldered it back on, and all was good again.

My question is, for Hammond players here, there is a long shiny metal tube mounted under the wood panel that tone wheel generator is mounted above (on springs). The tube is held on by metal clips. The metal tube is wired to nothing. It has 2 red plastic caps on each end. It has a 2-prong power cord, separate from the main power cord. Was told to plug both in when you use it. If I don't plug it in, it still plays normally. But, when I plug it it it gets really hot to the touch. Anyone know what this is, and if this is normal? Seems odd to have a curling iron in an organ.

Thanks! :smile:
 #118787  by TI4-1009

Yankee Tim wrote:Seems odd to have a curling iron in an organ.
Not goin' there..... :shock:
 #118788  by Yankee Tim

TI4-1009 wrote:
Yankee Tim wrote:Seems odd to have a curling iron in an organ.
Not goin' there..... :shock:
Dunno how else to describe it. LoL. There isn't one on my L143, and I've found zilch looking at the manual or on line. Not a clue on my part. Weird that the organ plays with it without it being plugged in.
 #118803  by Rusty the Scoob

Shot in the dark here: was this organ originally from a skating rink or some other cold environment? Maybe the heating element was needed to keep the tonewheels moving in cold temps?
 #118806  by Yankee Tim

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Shot in the dark here: was this organ originally from a skating rink or some other cold environment? Maybe the heating element was needed to keep the tonewheels moving in cold temps?
Dude, and here I was thinking only I had such a weird idea. A heater for the organ. Really, I haven't a clue. Nothing in the manual about it. Nothing on any forum I'm lurking on. May have to actually join one and ask.

Weird, huh? I'll post a pic and link it here.

Other than that. M3! Woop, woop!