Chat about Equipment Info
 #6623  by ssrythm

I'm trying to find the right delay unit for my rig. I'd love to get an AD230, but I am seeing a lot of 202's out there. Can I get what I want out of the 202 or should I hold out for the 230?

#6628  by strumminsix

hey good bro! i honestly don't use much delay.
however, the unit has great reviews.

let me know what other components you're playing with and what you want out of it!

#6633  by ssrythm

Right now I'm playing a Daion HeadHunter-555 and a Daion Power Mark XX thru an Ibanez UE??(damn! I cant remember the number) Anyway, you are the one who told me how to set it up with my Boogie DC5. I'm finally gettig the tone I'm after after messing around with a few modern digital ME pedals/processors over the years. I'm looking for a warm delay that will help me further reproduce the early to mid 70s Bobby sound. I know that Bob used the Ibanez AD 230, and was wondering if it was worth holding out for or if the 202 will give me what I want. For 179.00, I don't think I can go wrong with it, but all I know about the 202 is that it also has chorus/flange which I have on the UE-400 (thats it!). I'll probably pick this one up and just go from there, but if you have any advice on bobby sounding warm/fuzzy/trippy delays, any would be much appreciated.

#6634  by ssrythm

BTW, I'd love to post pics of my rig, especially my guitars. I am NOT computer savy. I have a dig. camera and pictures on my computer. Will someone explain how to post the pics on here. I don't mean for y'all to tell me in computer terms; explain it to me like you would to a five year old. Well, make that an 85 year old, as most five year olds could probably give me lessons on computer usage. Thanks, E.

#6637  by strumminsix

Hey, I honestly can't tell how Bobby gets some of his weird trippy sounds that may be a combination of a modulation after a delay.

I tried finding out some info on the AD202 but came up blank. Can you send me some more information?

Knowing that Bobby had the 230 w/400 always surprised me a bit due to some redundant components which always made me wonder if the was using a modulation after a delay.

But you have to careful of what tone you are going for here. During the mid 70s he was not using an IVP & UE & AD. This rig came in during the late 70s & early 80s.

"Warm fuzzy trippy delay" here is what I think of:
Warm: tone pot rolled off but no mud
Fuzzy: gain on amp set to barely break up
Trippy: using a flanger or autowah

Hope this helps!

#13137  by ssrythm

SSSSSShhhhhhhhhh! Dood, don't tell anyone about Daions until I have one of every guitar they made! Seriously! :cool:
 #13594  by Django

ssrythm,
I went over there as soon as I posted here and low and behold there's your name! I think I'm Cedarpaddle, but I don't recall. My '78 Heritage has a cedar top, hence the pun. I don't think you have to worry, anymore if it doesn't say Ibanez or Yamaha (or of course Fender) on it the kids don't want them.

#13596  by groovemongrel

I've found delay not all that useful.

#13609  by tigerstrat

You could also look into an Ibanez/Maxon stompbox like the vintage AD-80(awesome!), or AD-9; definitely check out the Keeley-modded AD-9 reissue.
 #13612  by Laytonco

Tigerstrat, I have the Kealey modded AD-9 and it is sweet! The "trippy pedal," as I call it, has a mind of it's own!